Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetPea MOM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Euthansia- kitty- HOW?
    Hi,
    I wrote a long diatribe about my 21 yr. old cat but it didn't post- very new to anything online w/ questions. I am beside myself- vet says to put kitty asleep. I know she is old, was relatively in good health until this month- severe weight loss, constant urination, doesn't eat much, blood in urine bad as of today. Took her to vet- really knowing the answer- they suggested putting her to sleep or pay $400 for further tests- I have known this diagnosis for a year (new vet for me). I am so torn- I have it scheduled for tomorrow- I don't have the 400 for further tests- and I asked the vet even if I did what would aggressive treatment provide- she didn't know- at this point- all I know is my cat is dramatically worse in the last 14 days, all of 5 pounds, still has a beautiful little face but is so skinny and can't do the litter boxes, urinary bleeding pretty bad tonight, threw up this morning, doesn't poop anymore, she is sitting w/ me now- as though she knows. Tell me I am doing the right thing- I never dreamed this would be so hard. Thanks, sds
    Ps- after reading this it looks as though the answer is obvious- but she wants to play now and then, and hasn't cried until a few nights ago, but the vet said urinary bleeding is painful- I have had to limit her existence to a bathroom floor because she urinates so often
    And can't use the box. Tonight she finally pooped - for the first time in a month. Sounds awful- but when she is on my lap it is just like yesterday...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea MOM
    Hi,
    I wrote a long diatribe about my 21 yr. old cat but it didn't post- very new to anything online w/ questions. I am beside myself- vet says to put kitty asleep. I know she is old, was relatively in good health until this month- severe weight loss, constant urination, doesn't eat much, blood in urine bad as of today. Took her to vet- really knowing the answer- they suggested putting her to sleep or pay $400 for further tests- I have known this diagnosis for a year (new vet for me). I am so torn- I have it scheduled for tomorrow- I don't have the 400 for further tests- and I asked the vet even if I did what would aggressive treatment provide- she didn't know- at this point- all I know is my cat is dramatically worse in the last 14 days, all of 5 pounds, still has a beautiful little face but is so skinny and can't do the litter boxes, urinary bleeding pretty bad tonight, threw up this morning, doesn't poop anymore, she is sitting w/ me now- as though she knows. Tell me I am doing the right thing- I never dreamed this would be so hard. Thanks, sds
    ps- after reading this it looks as though the answer is obvious- but she wants to play now and then, and hasn't cried until a few nights ago, but the vet said urinary bleeding is painful- I have had to limit her existence to a bathroom floor because she urinates so often
    and can't use the box. Tonight she finally pooped - for the first time in a month. Sounds awful- but when she is on my lap it is just like yesterday.....

I've been there so many times with my animals - and, yes, you love this cat. You've had her (apparently) a long time. You've loved her and taken care of her and provided for her and now she is sick and probably tired. Just as you would never hurt her up until now, you won't hurt her tomorrow - or the next day or the next day.

When you love an animal (and I know the $400 is a consideration but you know that it looks really bad and she's suffering and that's not why you've come to this place) one day you look in those eyes and know there is no kindness in continuing to walk forward. There is peace and quiet and an end to pain available for her.

And what better gift when it's time to leave the people who love you, the people you love, than to be with them, not knowing, falling asleep. And do they know - yes, I think they do.

But you can show her no greater love than to let her go to a better, pain free place, no matter how much it hurts you - you are doing it for her, taking care of things just like you always have. And she knows that.

A very wise person - when I was grieving - said to me that if I had two choices, one never having someone in my life and not going through the pain or having the years I had and going through the pain, which would I pick? I said I'd have the years and handle the pain and that's exactly how you must keep thinking. And she's always going to be with you, but you know that.

EDIT TO ADD THIS - feel free to post about her, write down how she came into your life, what she is like, the funny things she did, how much you love her - it will do your heart good, there are lots of good "listeners" here and I would like to know more about her, sort of put a face to her.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Jul 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
    First of all I've been where you are right now and I now how you feel,I really do... My cat was doing the same thing,and her quality of life was gone she was not herself and it was'nt the way I wanted her to live so I let her go to a place where she could be whole again... it broke my heart but it was best for her.. and she was all that mattered.. put her feelings above yours and you'll never be wrong... my prayers are with you and your kitty...
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
    I was in this same spot 10 days ago.I adopted a 4month old kitten from a vet in January,and had him till last Wednesday.I am still angry at the vet for not doing an x-ray till last week.He had been having trouble with hip dysplaysa since I adopted him,but the vet kept saying he would eventually get better as he matured.Well,he didn't,and the vet finally decided he did not want to invest the time and effort into saving this junk yard kitty that I adopted from him,and now loved just as much as any other member of my family.I knew the surgery would be long,and costly,but I loved this cat.I still remember his face the day before the vet euthanized him,and I wished I had just taken him home to see another vet for a second opinion.I feel like the vet did not give this cat a fair chance at a good life,because the surgery would have made his hips better.I know the cat was in a lot of pain,and if the vet would have x-rayed him at the time he was neutered,This would not have turned out as badly as it did.I am done with this vet,but I am happy he tries to give kittens that are homeless a second chance.I have been a vet tech for many years,and have put many animals to sleep;and it is never easy,but when you put one of your own down it rips your heart to pieces.Each day gets a little easier,but some times I still look in a certain spot and think of this kitty I miss so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitty might have FIP [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a turkish angora 2 days ago from lady who raises them. Kitten had rough start, runt, bottle fed and just finished antibiotics for a cold. Took her to vet today. She has a fever, eyes matt sometimes, she has distended belly. Appetite is good she is playful. He thinks she has FIP. Testing...

Kitty paw [ 1 Answers ]

I came home my cats paw was swollen. The door closed on him can someone give me some advice other then the vet for tonight?

Help with kitty [ 10 Answers ]

I need some help. My cat has been missing since 8/12. I have posted about 70 LOST signs in the neighborhood, and printed 50 more today that I will put up tomorrow. I have gone to the shelter and looked there. I have searched online on found cat sites. I have posted online lost cat. I put an ad out...

Fat Kitty! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cat who is about 4 years old, and is very fat. She was a runt as a baby, and was always very tiny, but she started gaining weight about a year ago and now is literally the size of a basketball. She has the tiniest little head! Its like the size of a tennis ball. We recently got a new...

View more questions Search