Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tymiller48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2003, 06:18 AM
    Generate income
    :-/I would like to know if and how sites such as the search engine IXQUICK.COM and napster and other sites that DO NOT have advertising on them generate money.
    A friend and I speculate that maybe Internet Service Providers pay them a certain amount of money for traffic that they generate, because if there were no sites of interest to any one there would be no reason for the Internet and Internet Service Providers to exist.
    scud Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
    generate income
    To be perfectly honest I don't know the answer to this question, however...

Working for an ISP I can tell you ow for a fact that we do not pay money to any of these companies. That would mean we were affiliated with illegal material and that would ultimately result in lawsuits among many other things. Just wanted to point out that ISPs don't keep file sharing companies in business.

Did you ever consider they are not out to make profit, but just want to share files? Not likely I know but it is possible. This way they would be able to get all of their servers and equipment paid for through "sponsoring" by people who also want to share files.
    rustynail Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jul 11, 2005, 09:23 AM
    Up2us traffic pays
    Up2us pays. I have several investments that create cash to pay those who join and surf
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2005, 03:52 AM
    IXQuick does have ads on it, just not on the front page. When you do a search on a lot of websites you'll see something like "Sponsored Results". These results will always be at the very top of the list. This is one of the ways they make their money, companies pay them to have their listing at the top of a search.

Napster sells thousands of mp3's a day. They don't need to have advertisements on their sites as they make enough of a profit from their sales to pay their hosting costs etc. without the need to use advertisements.

Here are some other ways of generating income without the need for ads that I can think of:

Subscription Service
    For example, DeviantArt. At DeviantArt you have a choice, surf with ads or pay a monthly subscription. If you pay the subscription you get a site with no ads along with other perks.

Asking for donation
    A lot of sites have a PayPal button or something similar. They ask their visitors to donate to the site in order to help pay the hosting costs.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Lunch time... *dashes off*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax ? [ 2 Answers ]

In the never ending debate about Income Tax I have a question. If there are over 22 thousand pages of Tax Code and if a Direct Tax in unconstitutional, how can anyone get the right answer? I seriously doubt if even the judges and the IRS themselves fully understand the true meaning of these...

Income during F1-OPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian student. I had an income 7500$ during OPT in 2005, on which tax was deducted. This was from working at my university. Later I changed back to F1 because I went for PhD. Is this income completely tax exempt? My total income during 2005 is 12,000$.

Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All Is relocation expenses exempted in income tax in India. Ex. If you spent Rs10000/- on relocation and your employer reimbursed only Rs5000/-. Is all 10000, or only diffrence 5000, or nothing is exempted.

Tax on 2nd income [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :) My husband I currently work full time jobs, but I'm considering a second job as a mystery shopper. I would receive 1099's at the end of the year from each company that paid me over $600 during the year. The pay for shopping is generally between $5 to $25 per shopping experience...

View more questions Search