Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1992twins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Just thinking
    My son is developmentally delayed. Since he got into Junior High, he has been getting into trouble. Mostly petty things. I'm considering home schooling him. I don't think he was ready for JH academically or emotionally. My questions have to do with how do I assess for myself where to start his home education, and how much time should we devote to his home schooling. Is an eight hour day necessary? I really want to do the best thing for him.
    selana Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Hi!

The decision to home school is a very difficult one. I home schooled my daughters for two years and the results were mixed. Academically and healthwise they were much better off while being homeschooled. However, as soon as they returned to the school system they picked up everything going around. They hadn't developed the social skills to exist in a complex school environment and were therefore "different", and even though they completed the syllabus at home and achieved excellent results, once they returned to the system they didn't transfer that success. The reason for this is that schools have their own focus and ways of assessment that build yearly and incrementally and children can miss out on this with home schooling. I put my children back into the school system in year 6 so that high school was not a rude shock. In NSW it is not possible to gain the government awards for completion of high school through home schooling. To successfully home school, developing social relationships is very important. If you are qualified to home school in terms of your own educational background, then 3 hours a day is probably all you will need because a great deal more is achieved one on one than one to thirty. However, to do it successfully you will need support. Children are notorious for not listening to a mother and you will need to have mechanisms in place to ensure that the goals are reached. Think twice though, perhaps the answer is a change in school and peer group. I hope this helps. Sue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2006, 07:38 PM
    A lot will depend on which state you are in, each state has laws regarding homeschooling.

And many home schools have testing to determine where he needs to be at in their program. I would recommend using a school that offers a structured program. That way you know what you need to be teaching them. Also depending on the state is to how many hours , but in general 4 ato 6 hours of study.

It is a full time commitment and will be harder than you can ever image.

I would also recommend a home school that is accredited, that way when he graduates, he would have a formal high school dipolma that would be reconised.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
    I am a major fan of home schooling. I lean to Montessori, home school or private school. Each can help. Also their are schools for kids who just have trouble in school called a C school I think. It is for those naughty kids but also for kids who can only handle a half day for whatever reason. My best friend growing up went to a C school for half of a day then to a special learning center. She graduated with me in the regular high school graduation as well. Call your local school board and talk to someone. Maybe they can help. This was over 10 years ago so I am sure things have advanced somewhat.

Hypatia
    sjh65 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Hello,
    I home schooled my 20 year old daughter and I am also home schooling my 15year old son and 8 year old daughter. As with anything there are good things and bad. You have an opportunity to spend so much more time with your children and influence there lives in such a positive way. I also have a son with certain challenges. Not extreme, but enough that would make things much more difficult in public school. He does so much better and I am able to know when he is understanding his work and when he is in trouble.
    There are days when I wish for a break and would love to put them in public school, but most days I am thankful I have the chance to teach them and spend so much time with them. There are several support groups you can find in your area. There are so many more people home schooling these days that it is pretty easy to find groups. I use ABeka Books and I love them. I put my daughter in public school for awhile in Junior High and she did fine. Both academically and emotionally. Just don't close them off from all activity with other kids and they can retain the best of both worlds. We can typically finish school work in 3 to 4 hours, but there are always days when it seems to take all day! I hope this helps. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop thinking about my ex [ 20 Answers ]

I'd been going out with my girl for 2months, then one day she just turned around and said that she ' couldn't be bothered'. This was about 2 weeks ago. I tried my hardest, and did nothing wrong to her. This was my first serious relationship. Ever since we split, all I can think about is her, and it...

Employee way of thinking [ 4 Answers ]

I own a small business. I don't understand why some employees think the place can't run without them. I have terminated a few employees and every one of them have said that none of the customers will ever come back if they aren't there. I don't understand what their psychological make up is to make...

Thinking of leaving [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, to everyone here, I have read some the posts and answers and this site is great! Well, my post tonight is regarding my marriage.My husband and I have been married for 6 years with 3 children 14-5-2.Though we live a comfortable lifestyle, my marriage is not a good one... my husband is not home...

Why am I thinking of this? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, Adadfadf

Critical thinking [ 12 Answers ]

What type of fallacy is this statement? We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. Thank you, Evelyn

View more questions Search