Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xodiana Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Initial Return Earned by Investors
    West Coast Manufacturing Company (WCMC) is executing an initial public offering with the
    Following characteristics. The company will sell 10 million shares at an offer price of $25 per
    Share, the underwriter will charge a 7 percent underwriting fee, and the shares are expected to sell
    For $32 per share by the end of the first day’s trading. Assuming this IPO is executed as expected,
    Answer the following:
    a. Calculate the initial return earned by investors allocated shares in the IPO

The book's answer was a 28% gain in one day which the only way I could get that answer was to divide 7%/$25

Or do you calculate the answer by:

100% - (25/32) which would give you 21.88% gain in one day
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xodiana
    West Coast Manufacturing Company (WCMC) is executing an initial public offering with the
    following characteristics. The company will sell 10 million shares at an offer price of $25 per
    share, the underwriter will charge a 7 percent underwriting fee, and the shares are expected to sell
    for $32 per share by the end of the first day’s trading. Assuming this IPO is executed as expected,
    answer the following:
    a. Calculate the initial return earned by investors allocated shares in the IPO

The book's answer was a 28% gain in one day which the only way I could get that answer was to divide 7%/$25

Or do you calculate the answer by:

100% - (25/32) which would give you 21.88% gain in one day
    xodiana - you can simply take the sell price of the stock for the investors and divide it by the purchase price of $25 and subtract that by 1:

(32/25)-1: .28

I think you are trying to figure out what to do with the 7% underwriting fee and are getting confused with that. It's been a while but doesn't the book tell you that the underwriting fee is assessed after the funds have been taken in at the initial IPO? In other words, 10 million shares x $25 is $250,000,000 raised in capital; the underwriting fee then would amount to $17,500,000. This fee would have no impact on what the return to the investors was, though.

Let me know what the books says on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for restaurant investors. [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I have started a limited-service restaurant and we're currently looking for investors, but it's been hard. I don't want to pay a few grand to go in front of some angel capitalists. Any suggestions?

Restaurant Investors needs [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of deal do investors in restaurants expect?

Investors [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not quite ready to publish my book just yet. Maybe within the next few months. But I've heard a writer should have an investor. I've never heard of that. Then again I don't know how publishing works to be honest. Do I need an investor? And how does publishing normally work? Sheesh, or...

View more questions Search