Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sizl37 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2006, 04:35 AM
    91 Honda still won't start
    Need help. 91 Honda civic wagon still won't start. No crank at all. I have replaced the main relay(new) and the distributor(new). When I turn the key all the lights come on and I can hear the fan. Checked the ECU for codes and it shows only the first blink. Checked the timing and looked for bare wires. Not sure if the fuel pump primes when I turn the key not sure what I'm listening for. Going to check for spark and fuel but after that not sure what to do. What else could be preventing it from starting? :confused:
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Apr 6, 2006, 01:40 PM
    It doesn't turn over at all? Or it does turn over but will not start?

You shouldn't have gone out buying new parts right away... you never do that, unless you have more money than you really want to have.

Always check for gas and spark before you do ANYTHING on the car. What good is replacing parts that bring fuel to the engine if you're already getting fuel to it?

You hear fuel pump priming in the back of the car... as soon as you turn the key to "II" and you see the lights come on, you will hear a humming sound in the back of your car (under and behind the rear seats). That's your fuel pump. After that, you should hear a click from under the dash (main relay) and the humming sound should stop.

Apr 6, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Well the main relay was bad, followed directions from another post and the distributor had two big cracks inside. Wanted to check the plugs for spark 3 weeks ago but the hubby skipped that process lol not sure why. Anyway, the car tried to start by itself with no key and no distributor. That puzzled me. I guess I should get a meter and have him start checking wires and see if there is spark and gas. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Apr 7, 2006, 02:32 AM
    Wow, if the car wanted to start on it's own, without the key in the ignition switch, and without the distributor on, then there's definitely something wrong with the wires.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed? You should double check it's wires if you do.

Apr 7, 2006, 09:15 AM
    No alarm or auto start but it does have a different stereo. He is going to work on it this weekend. Getting a multimeter so he can start checking the wires.

Apr 17, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Well we got the car started. Beat on the starter and got it to crank a little. Took it out and had it tested it was bad so we replaced it. Runs like a champ now but last night the car started cranking over in the driveway again. It will crank over without key so we had to remove battery cable again and when you put the cable back on you can hear a faint humming noise. This is something that has only happened 3 times and we can't find any bare wires. What the heck could be making the car do this?
    Could the after market stereo be the problem if it is wired wrong? Wondering where to look next and at what.
    :confused:

Apr 17, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Is the humming sound coming from behind? It might be the fuel pump. Can you "hear" fuel "circulating" somewhere under the hood when that humming sound is heard?

It might very well be your main relay. Try to resolder it. I can see that if it's bad, it can cause your fuel pump to work when it's not supposed to, since the main relay controls the fuel pump.

Apr 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
    We put in a new main relay, new distributor, new starter and new spark plugs. The old wires where fine checked with a meter. Checked the cables on the battery had one that was frayed. After the starter was replaced the car turned right over and ran very smooth. No problems till around 1am when the car started cranking. I noticed that 2 times that it cranked it was lightly raining. I know that the carpet on drivers side has been wet before for no reason and one time the floor on both sides was soaked. I'm not sure how water is getting in there but maybe something shorted out. Not sure if there is a sensor or something in that area of the floor to short out. I know that after it tries to crank it drains the battery and we have to put it on charger. Going to try to get it started today and see if it register's any codes.
    Kc
    rosseharris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Try and see if you got spark is you do open the air box put a little gas or starting flued in it then if it starts and suts off after it gets burned up then it is more then likely your fule pump or maybe you fuse.
    Hope I was able to help ross

May 8, 2006, 09:06 PM
    The car is running fine now except it still tries to start when it rains. Happen to be in the car when it tried to start and turned the key forward and then back and it stopped so I'm thinking there might be a short in an ignition wire. For now we have been disconnecting the battery when we know it's going to rain and that seems to work. I guess hubby will look for the problem but thanks for the info I'll let him know.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

89 honda will not start [ 6 Answers ]

Replaced main relay as old one fried car turns over but will not start any help out there wolud bw a blessing and g3et my grand daughter off my neck

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so now the ignitor and the coils have been replaced and the car still will not start. My neighbor, who is a Honda mechanic, says that my only other option is to replace the computer... IS THIS TRUE>>?? :(

98 Honda Will Not Start At All [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, A few days ago I was driving up a hill and my 98 Honda Civic started cutting back like it was running out of gas. It cut off, and wouldn't restart. We've replaced the distributor cap, the rotor button, and spark plugs. The car is getting both fuel and fire, the main relay isn't faulty, and I...

View more questions Search