Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jul 24, 2008, 02:25 AM
    Substitute ingredient
    I have a recipe for Salsa and one of the ingredients is Jicama, which I'm told is Mexican Potato, does anyone know of a substitute I could use please?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 03:27 AM
    I could just say what the sub is, but it is best if you read this article which will explain what jicama is and then you can pick your own substitute or use the one provided (or Google it and you will find many more substitutes !) maybe on that suits your pallet best.

What is Jicama?

Can you explain how to use "jicama" — I think I know it is a fruit, but, I'm not really sure. Are there any other uses for it other than just eating like a fruit?

Jicama, also called the Mexican potato, is a large root vegetable with a thin brown skin and a white crunchy flesh. It is becoming more and more popular in Asia and the US, but hasn't been widely used outside Mexico or parts of South America until recently. In texture, and to a lesser extent in taste, it is very similar to the water chestnut.

It is peeled and eaten raw or cooked, and has a taste that is described as slightly sweet and nutty. You might get a better sense of the taste by considering what some cookbook authors recommend as substitutes if you can't find jicama — uncooked in a salad, the best substitution might be a firm, not-too-sweet apple. In a cooked dish, go the water-chestnut route.

There are an awful lot of recipes available that use jicama — either in a starring role or as a humble contributor — among them, lots of salads, slaws, salsas, relishes, and fish dishes.
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jul 24, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    I could just say what the sub is, but it is best if you read this article which will explain what jicama is and then you can pick your own substitute or use the one provided (or google it and you will find many more substitutes !) maybe on that suits your pallet best.

What is Jicama?

Can you explain how to use "jicama" — I think I know it is a fruit, but, I'm not really sure. Are there any other uses for it other than just eating like a fruit?

Jicama, also called the Mexican potato, is a large root vegetable with a thin brown skin and a white crunchy flesh. It is becoming more and more popular in Asia and the US, but hasn’t been widely used outside Mexico or parts of South America until recently. In texture, and to a lesser extent in taste, it is very similar to the water chestnut.

It is peeled and eaten raw or cooked, and has a taste that is described as slightly sweet and nutty. You might get a better sense of the taste by considering what some cookbook authors recommend as substitutes if you can’t find jicama — uncooked in a salad, the best substitution might be a firm, not-too-sweet apple. In a cooked dish, go the water-chestnut route.

There are an awful lot of recipes available that use jicama — either in a starring role or as a humble contributor — among them, lots of salads, slaws, salsas, relishes, and fish dishes.
    Hi Tickle
    Thanks very much , this is a great answer and I'm really grateful.
    I tried to use the 'rate answer' button to thank you but for some reason couldn't... sorry.
    paterno Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 03:47 PM

I say just don't add it at all. It's very starchy like a potato but a little sweet. If you didn't grow up on it than you probably won't like it. I eat very little from time to time because my wife is from El Salvador.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any good recipes with pineapple as main ingredient? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm just looking for a good recipe with pineapple being the main ingredient... Thanks!:D

Pectin Substitute [ 7 Answers ]

I am interested in making jam, but I currently live in Russia. THey do not have pectin here. Is there a substitute for pectin? I want to make Blueberry jam. Thanks.

Substitute one bean for another [ 2 Answers ]

If a recipe calls for white beans, such as cannelini beans can I use cranberry beans instead? Would I need to change the recipe at all?

Food substitute [ 2 Answers ]

When you are following a recipe and it calls for marsala wine and you don't have any, can you substitute something else for it?

Gelatin substitute [ 4 Answers ]

I have a recipie that calls for gelatin. However, I am alergic to gelatin. The recipie is for a mousse. Is there anything I can use instead?? Thank you!

View more questions Search