Apr 6, 2006, 01:31 AM
    My PC won't start
    Just installed windows xp 3 days ago,
    Now I put on my PC and it won't start... the lights donot even come on
    I changed the cords but it still won't work
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 02:46 AM
    First - check the simple things, does the plug socket still work etc. I know it sounds stupid but it normally turns out to be the simplest things you don't normally consider.

You said no lights come on but is there any noise? Fans spinning that kind of thing.

If the answer is no, I would say that your power supply has blown. This is a reasonably simple repair if you are confident working inside a PC. If you are not though - take it to a PC repair shop. Mucking around in a PC can be dangerous for both you and your machine. It shouldn't cost much to get repaired.

Power supply's can blow for a number of reasons. If your electricity supply has a power surge and your PC isn't plugged into a surge protector, that can do it. Also if your PC is connected to the phone line and that phone line get hits by lightning during a storm, that can also blow the power supply (happened to me before).
    shanepez Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 12:12 AM
    Well for me, when this has happened, it usually just something stupid like my memory isn't plugged in all the way.

What it could be more likely is that if you seated your motherboard yourself, you seated it incorrectly. If metal is touching the motherboard on any point other than the points its supposed to, it will cause a short, and the computer will not start. This seems to have been the most common problem with me.

Other than that, more often than not, the motherboard will be dead, or even the CPU. Bad PSUs are also a problem, but seem to have been less common for me.

I just had a problem my computer wouldn't boot because there motherboard was bad! You seriously have to try everything you can think of, even the silliest things. I have spent hours fixing and repairing computers.

But like Theo said, if you aren't comfortable going through a computer, then maybe you should take it to a repair shop

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox won't start up [ 2 Answers ]

OK here is what happened. I was listening to mp3s on itunes. I went to edit an id3 tag and for some reason my comp went crazy. So I restarted. When I came back, itunes worked fine. But Firefox decided to not work. When I click it, it comes and acts like it is opening the startpage (digisoul.com)...

94 Civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, this one has really aggrivated me so I am hoping that someone can help me figure out the problem and fix it. I have a 94 civic, manual (5 speed), that was broken into recently. When I got it back the ignition assembly was punched and useless. I purchased a new one and put it in place of...

Civic won't start... please help [ 2 Answers ]

It kind of happened over the course of the day.. like I realized it was taking more to get it to start and by the end of the day my civic wouldent start anymore... so first I thought it must be the fuel pump or the ditributor... so I bought a whole new distributor assembly and cap and new spark...

95 civic won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently rebuilt the engine in my 95 civic... about a week later the radiator blew and I replaced that... now about 2 weeks later my car suddenly won't start... one day I leave the gym after working out and it won't start... I first thought the gas gauge was wrong so I just put in some gas...

View more questions Search