Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evaneric2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2004, 11:04 PM
    88 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem
    Hi,

Have 88 Ford Taurus with auto xmission. Xmission will go in reverse fine, but will not engage into drive unless the vehicle is going at or over 15 mph. Fluid level checks out fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

evaneric2
    Travis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2004, 04:04 AM
    Re: 88 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem
    Sounds similar to the problem I had, are you sure your fluid levels are okay? I THOUGHT I had the correct fluid level, and indeed the dip stick showed it was full, and I even checked it while it was running, but it turns out I was still a bottle of transmission fluid short.

If its not your fluid level, then try changing it. Your fluid should be nice and red. Go down to an auto store, and buy a filter kit, and some fluid, and some oil soluble grease and try that. Or take it to a 10 minute oil change center and get it done there if your not comfortable.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2004, 06:35 AM
    Re: 88 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem
    Automatic transmissions have a filter that must eventually be cleaned or replaced. That means removing the pan on the bottom and replacing its gasket. Not a big job if you have a decent place to work. A dozen or more little bolts to take out. Be careful not to over tighten them or the pan will leak. Plan a change of fluid too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Taurus Transmission [ 7 Answers ]

The transmission in my 97 Taurus slips intermittently. It will be operating normally and suddenly let go. The engine will rev but the tranny won't pull. It will maintain a very low speed, and occasionally grab, but basically acts like the car's in neutral. It was operating normally today until...

'99 Taurus Transmission problems [ 1 Answers ]

Recently, my 99 Taurus has been developing some transmission problems. It has an automatic transmission, and when it shifts from first to second or from second to first the shift is very rough. Also, when accelerating on a hill the transmission seems very hesitant to shift. Almost like it's...

91 ford Taurus [ 3 Answers ]

I have No Power going to the Starter Headlights or Brake Lights is there a grounding strap or something that could be the problem PLEASE HELP

Transmission Problem Ford Explorer Sport [ 3 Answers ]

My 97 explorer sport does not shift into overdrive. What is the problem?

View more questions Search