Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powerpuffg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month?
    So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms [I paid rent on time on the 1st of every month] but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In any case I paid rent for July on July 1st. However, I have since found another place that I would much rather live it so would a 30 days notice suffice as my 6 month lease has ended and I guess it has become a month-to-month lease. Please help! :(
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
    That was the way it worked with all of the places I have ever rented. 30 day notice on month to month.
    Also we owned some rental property and that was how our leases were.
    powerpuffg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Well technically she wants me to renew with another 6 month lease that would go through December but since she hasn't drawn up the rental agreement for the new term, I'm assuming it has has become month to month right? Even during my 6 month lease I paid rent monthly...

Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    That was the way it worked with all of the places I have ever rented. 30 day notice on month to month.
    Also we owned some rental property and that was how our leases were.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:55 PM
    That could be trickey since you did say "yes" they may be able to hold you to a verbal... check back in tomorrow most of the ones that could answer your question do not seem to be on.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Did your previous lease say anything about how much notice you needed to give if you didn't intend to renew? Some leases provide that the tenant must give 30 or 60 days notice if they don't intend to renew.

If your lease contained anything like that then it still applies to you even though your lease ended. That's because when your lease ended you became a month-to-month tenant at the same terms and conditions as your previous lease except for the amount of time.

If your lease did not contain anything like that then you can give 30 days notice that you intend to terminate your tenancy and move out. Make sure that you give your notice so that it covers one full rental period. If you pay rent on the first of the month then you should give her your notice no later than July 31 that you intend to be out by Aug. 31.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month-to-Month leasing, eviction notice days. [ 11 Answers ]

Ok... we signed a written lease, that is month to month, on a Mother-in-Law suite. We agreed to pay a first and last. The landlord is terminating our lease, and has claimed that the law is to give 15 days to vacate the premises NOT 30. Is this legal? Or will he have to return our deposit? How does...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Do I need to give 60 days notice when on month-to-month lease? [ 1 Answers ]

My one-year lease will end on February 29, 2008. In December landlord send me a renewal notice. I will choose the option of month-to-month, with an 8 percent rent increase. But do I still need to give 60 notice? My one-year lease requires 60 notice. I live in Yardley, PA.

View more questions Search