Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chupa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:49 PM
    How to configure router
    What is router?
    How is the structure to connect to the router?
    And how I want to configure the router?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chupa
    what is router?
    A device that forwards data packets between computer networks based on packet source, destination, or other information contained in the packet or the router's programming.

how is the structure to connect to the router?
    Usually electro-mechanical, sometimes optical.

...and how i want to configure the router?
    Correctly, otherwise it doesn't work properly.
    Mr_Furious Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Chupa,

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are wanting but here goes:

A standard home internet connection requires a modem. A little box that converts that analog signal from your providor (be it Cable internet or DSL) into a digital signal that your computer understands. From the modem, a line connects to your computer. This is great if you only have one PC, but if you have more.. .

You need a router. A router is a device that basically hands out numeric addresses to all of your computers. Thank of it as the post office assigning mail. It has to know what PC the information goes to. The router literally "routes" data to the computer addresses it assigns.

In terms of structure you can either go wired or wireless for your structure dependent on the layout of your home.

Configuring a home router is pretty simple. Most routers include software that ask you a series of questions and configure the router for you.

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to configure yum [ 1 Answers ]

hai, I had configured ftp and nfs servers in the machine. I had also Copied all the RPM's into /var/ftp/pub/RedHat/RPMS directory and also configured the rhel-debuginfo.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d as base url = ftp://serverip/pub/RedHat/RPMS and enable=0 . then I had opened the file...

Configure the ERMS ? [ 1 Answers ]

What dowe mean by configure the ERMS ? What is ERMS?

How to configure firewall [ 1 Answers ]

How to configure firewall

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search