Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Najalita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Adjusting Accounting Entries
    My balance sheet reflects prepaid insurance of $1,200 for Dec 31. It is a 3 year policy that started Jan 1. How do I make adjustments for the year and what should the corrected amount be?
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Why not put the insurance time of coverage on a monthly basis. The three-year term would be, ergo, 36 months and each payment would consititute 1/36th of the total amount paid.
    $1200 therefore, would be expressed as $33.33 per month, or $400 annually. The paid instaallments would amount to 7 months payment... January - July = $233.33 leaving the asset amount on the books of $1200 minus the paid amount = $966.67. On December 31, there would be $800.00 of asset value on the books.

I know there is a term for this kind of asset... the word escapes me. Its been a long time since I had to do bookkeeping to a trial balance.
    segcor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Najalita
    My balance sheet reflects prepaid insurance of $1,200 for Dec 31. It is a 3 year policy that started Jan 1. How do I make adjustments for the year and what should the corrected amount be?
    Debit insurance expense $400
    Credit prepaid insurance $400
    $1,200/3yrs = $400/yr

Prepaid insurance will then amount to $800 on the balance sheet for the first year ended Dec 31, $400 for the second year and $0 for the third year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting Entries and Closing Entries [ 6 Answers ]

The Flash Pan Company manufactures cooking products. On August 1, 2007, the company borrowed $125,000 from creditors. Semiannual interest payments of $7,500 are to be made to creditors beginning January 31, 2008. On July 1, 2007, the company purchased a 1-year insurance policy for $10,000 and...

Preparing adjusting entries and closing entries [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot find any examples about this question on my book or anywhere else Please help.~ The following list includes selected permanent account and all of the temporary accounts from the December 31, 2008, unadjusted trial balance of Emiko Co. a business owned by Kumi Emiko. Use these account...

Accounting, adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night’s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite...

Accounting Adjusting entries [ 3 Answers ]

Hasterson has a five-day work week and pays salaries of $70,000 each Friday 1 Make the adjusting entry required on July 31, assuming that August 1 falls on a Wednesday. 2 Make the entry to pay the salaries on August 3. Thanks!!

Adjusting entries [ 2 Answers ]

unadjusted entries 3/4- paid 1360 rent for march 1 through April 30 (680/month) 3/29 - received 980 for patients on accnt 3/31- paid following expenses:salaries (1400) advertising (85) insurance (400) adjusting entries 1- dental services worth 100 performed on accnt on march 31 for the...

View more questions Search