Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marilou67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Wrongly accused of HIPPA violation
    I live in Washington state. I work in admitting at the hospital. I am being falsely accused of a HIPPA violation. The accuser is an ex-brother in law and his girlfriend. What are my rights as an employee if I should happen to get fired over this? I did nothing to violate the policy. Because of custody issues between my sister-ion-law and him I feel like I am being used as a scapegoat. My employer is in the process of investigating now. I am on a three day suspension. I have explained the whole issue to them but am very nervous because it is a serious violation with my employer. I need some advice!!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
    It may help us to answer, if we knew what you "did", or at least what they "say you did"?

Jul 23, 2008, 05:25 PM
    My ex-brother in law's girlfriend brought her son to be admitted to the hospital. I did the check in. When I asked her for her address she lied and gave me her ex-husband's, she stated she was still married to him. I knew for a fact she was not being honest. I alerted my supervisor that she had lied. I was told to make notes on the account and could question her because it was personal knowledge. Of course when my ex-brother in law got wind that she had lied he was not happy. They are saying that I told people the boy was admitted in the hospital (mainly I supposedly told my two nephews). I did not tell them. I feel that the woman knows she got caught and is covering for herself. I have discussed all of this with my employer. I am hoping they will find me not guilty. But I also need to know what my legal rights are. If there is anything I can do to prove my innocence and keep my job.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Who is she claiming you told?

Will that person "lie" and say that you did?

It would probably be a good idea to consult with an attorney just to find out how the procedure works, and what you may be able to do to defend yourself if necessary.

Jul 23, 2008, 05:37 PM
    She is claiming I told my nephew's ages 10 & 11. It was supposedly told at the birthday party for the youngest one. I did not even talk much with the boys because they were swimming the whole day. I am not sure what the boys will say. Their mom and dad do not get along. In fact there is an issue going right now that he is taking the kids on a vacation over mom's birthday. Which is a custody violation. Thank you so much for trying to answer. I just feel I am wrongly being accused and it is not fair. I have never had any type of violation on my work record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA Violation or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently an employee of the Department of Public Safety sent an email to a reporter here in Hawaii which contained the names, addresses, physicians, and locations of plants for all 4,200 Medical Marijuana patients legally registered in the State of Hawaii. Supposedly, the only people that have...

Hippa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of HIPPA or any privacy law when a former dental office sends a letter to our minor children with their account numbers, birthday and our home telephone number printed on an address label? I really don't want the US postal service delivering private mail with our phone # and...

Falsly accused then arrested on a probation violation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! Interesting web site! I'm very desperate for answers. My 27 yr old son is on probation for something extremely stupid he did about 4 yrs ago. He opted to stay on probation for an extended length of time so adjudication would be w/held. He is a full time college student mastering in...

Wrongly accused. [ 3 Answers ]

In school I found a container and I didn't know what it was... then my deans called me down and asked to search me and said the container had cannibis in it and now I'm getting a ticket. I didn't even know what it was. They said it had residue in it. How can I get out of it? Reply asap Thanks

View more questions Search