Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jisaal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Adoption from the 1800's
    Hello,
    I am working on my family tree and have discovered that my great-great grandfather had been adopted after the death of his parents. They lived in either WV or Ohio, does anyone know of a way to track down an adoption that old?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Most likely no, a lot of those were never done though the courts even.
    gctts Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 01:24 PM
    If it occurred 1850 or after, I would check every census record of his adoptive family. He may have been listed under his birth name. People sometimes were. It is a long shot, but something I would definitely try. And his middle name might have been his birth name. You can check census records for a surname of that middle name for him prior to his parents death if his middle name was a possible surname. Often children were adopted by close relations, so I would also look for census records prior to his adoption for him in anyone living in the same town with the surname of his adoptive parents (including the woman's maiden name)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bible from the 1800's [ 4 Answers ]

I have the "New Testiment" bible which is dated 1866. I bought this at a yardsale for a dollar. Does anyone know what it may be worth? Thanks!

Penny from the 1800's [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 1894 penny. Anyone know what it's worth?--Thanks

Silver certificates from 1800's? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 silver certificates from 1899. 2 silver certificates from 1917. 1 silver certificate from 1891. And 1 two dollar silver certificate from 1899. Most of them are in good condition... very little wear and tear with few creases. Any idea what they might be worth? Much appreciated.

Finding information on an adoption in the late 1800's [ 3 Answers ]

I am researching my family tree and in the process I have learned that my Great Grand Father was adopted. How would I go about finding information on that?

Adoption records from 1800's in Chelsea, MA? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've been researching my family tree since my father died in 1980, but I've hit a major snag when it comes to my great-grandfather, James Parker Dow. James was born in apx. 1850-1851 and died in a drowning accident at a Vassalboro, Maine sawmill in February 1876. (I've found his unmarked...

View more questions Search