Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurencp72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 12:10 PM
    GFCI is tripping
    I had to replace a non-working GFCI receptacle that had given us problems for 3 years or so. I replaced it today, but when the power is turned on the receptacle trips, even with nothing plugged in to it directly. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? It is an outside receptacle.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Assuming this is not a new but defective unit, the most likely reason is it got connected incorrectly.

Be sure, assuming there are only 3 wires at the outlet box, black, white, and bare or green, that the black connects to the brass screw labeled Line, the white connects to the silver screw labeled Line, and green or bare wire connects to green screw.

If there is an additional set of wires in the box, now here is where it gets tricky. One set of black and white from one cable must be live, hot, and must connect to the Line terminals as above, and the additional set must be dead that are feeding other outlets down stream in the circuit, and these get connected to the Load terminals.

If all of this is correct, then get back and we can go from there.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Are there any other outlets "down stream" from that GFI outlet? How many wires connect to the outlet.
    laurencp72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
    There are two cables. Two blacks, two whites and a ground wire. Everything is wired correctly as far as I know, because when I tested it, it worked. I plugged a radio into it when I was done and it came on. When I was screwing the receptacle in was when I had the problem. When I screwed it in all the way, it tripped. So I reset, and loosened the screws a bit and it worked fine. I don't want to have the screws loosened though, since this is an outside receptacle.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
    I bet the new one is made in China.

I swear they will get us one way or the other.

Welcome to a global economy.

Your absolutely correct the screw terminal need to be tight. There is probably a label or data sheet hat list the torquing values.

Bring it back for credit and get a decent one, made other than in China, if one exists.

With a new one all should be fine. If not get back with the details.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jul 23, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Before you take it back be sure the ground wire is not making contact with the screw terminals on the receptacle. That last turn of the screw might have brought them into contact tripping the gfci.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Breaker Tripping on Coast Spa [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with my Coast Platinum Series Spa bought in 2001. The GFIC breaker is tripping. Spa information: Coast Platinum Series Model – ML40 Serial number – 004629 Control Pack/Circuit Board - TSPA-1-P122-P222-B1-01-CP1-H34.5-JJM-FL-RL-CC23453-01C Two Monster Flow 7.0...

New GFCI Keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Siemens single pole 20A GCFC to wire my basement workshop. The receptacles are wired correctly and checked with a special tester. I run my bench grinder and it does not trip.. I plug in my radio (it's OFF) and the GCFI trips, I hook up a light and it trips... I hook...

GFCI delayed tripping [ 4 Answers ]

Installed new GFCI receptacle in bathroom. Tested allciecuits on line with GFCI tester and all indicate OK. After exactly 3 minutes the GFCI trips. This was repeated several times. Replaced the GFCI receptacle with a new one and same results.:confused:

Gfci spa panel tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a spa with 4 wires. The house is old and while the neutral & ground bus bars are separate in the spa panel, they are all on the same bar in the main panel. Do I need to install a ground rod by the spa panel to keep the gfci from tripping? (instead of running the ground back to the...

View more questions Search