Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindydowler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Central air
    My central air throws out a musty smell when in use do you know what is causing this
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:41 PM
    My guess is that there is water standing near the evaporator that is growing some mold or something.

The evaporator is the coil located in your furnace unit. During operation, water from the humid air is condensed on the cold evaporator and falls into a pan below it. There is a drain pipe connected to this pan and it may be clogged up. Sometimes it is easy to clean the clog, sometimes it is difficult. Hopefully someone more experienced than I am will chime in with a good method to do this.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My central a/c fan won't come on [ 5 Answers ]

I have changed the contactor on my York unit, but when I turn the A/C back on it will come on cool through the vents inside, but the fan won't come on outside and then it automatically shuts off. Any ideas, it is 85degrees in the house right now. Thanks

Ductless Central AC vs Regular central AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I received a brochure from my power company telling me I should consider "ductless" ac versus the traditional ac cooling unit. What are the differences between the two? The only thing the brochure said was that ductless was more friendly to the environment. Thanks

Central Air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a less than 2 year old Trane furnace and central air system. I noticed that my outdoor unit was full of leaves, dirt etc. I took the compressor cover off to clean it and when I was done I switched the breaker back on. Now the compressor fan runs when the a/c unit thermostat is off. It...

What is going on with my central a/c [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago it would make this squealing sound when it came on. Then a couple of days later it shut off completely. I pressed the pressure limit switch that work for a little while then stopped again. Now nothing is coming on.

Central air [ 1 Answers ]

My air stopped being cold it still blows and is not all the way hot air, it is on auto, but won't cut off, and the thing outside is very cold. What is this

View more questions Search