Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABehrens Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

Jul 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Relenquishing Rights
    I am trying to get my daughter's father to sign over his rights to my fiancé after we are married. He has already agreed to sign them over and my fiancé has agreed to adopt my daughter after we get married which will be about a year or so. I know that I have to go to an attorney to get the paperwork drawn up. Does anyone know how much that costs and what if I live in Alabama and my daughter's father is in jail in California? Do I have to go out there for him to sign the papers or can we mail them to him? Doesn't there have to be a witness there to witness it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Just call around to the family law offices in your area they generally charge one flat rate for this kind of thing (provided the bio father dosen't fight it). The papers can be mailed to him in cali there are people there that can be witness to him signing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You can have him served the papers where he is ( the attorney will do this) they will have him sign and notorise his signiture. As long as the father is willing to sign, ( first shop around) it should be under 5000.

Jul 24, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords
    Just call around to the family law offices in your area they generally charge one flat rate for this kind of thing (provided the bio father dosen't fight it). The papers can be mailed to him in cali there are people there that can be witness to him signing.
    Okay, that sounds good. Thanks for all of your help!

Jul 24, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    You can have him served the papers where he is ( the attorney will do this) they will have him sign and notorise his signiture. As long as the father is willing to sign, ( first shop around) it should be under 5000.
    The attorney will go out to California from Alabama to have him sign the papers?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ABehrens
    The attorney will go out to California from Alabama to have him sign the papers?
    No. He will either mail the papers to the warden's office or to a local attorney who will go to the prison.

Jul 24, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    No. He will either mail the papers to the warden's office or to a local attorney who will go tot he prison.

Okay, thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

Custody rights versus Paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

I will try to get this down in the most unconfusing way possible. My husband and his former wife, allegedly had a baby together, Baby X we will call her. My husband has paternity questions about the child, due to the fact he found the X-wife and his brother-in-law in bed together. Two years...

View more questions Search