Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greatcricket Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Dog Doesn't Like Walks
    About a month ago my 2 year old Great Dane decided she didn't like going on walks anymore. She only goes outside to use the bathroom but will not go any farther, and after she is done doing her business she makes a beeline to come inside. I have lived in the same apartment complex since October 2007 when she was adopted into my home. She has been to the vet and all blood work is normal, thyroid is normal, no muscle problems, joint problems, etc. I started her on anti-anxiety medicine, per vet recommendation, about 5 days ago to help with her severe anxiety in general. She was very undersocialized prior to her adoption. There is nothing I can think of that would have made her all of a sudden upset about going outside, other than the fact that it is summer and I started leaving my windows open more, and maybe she is hearing sounds during the day while I am away. Does anyone have any advice they could offer me? I miss taking my dog on a walk, but she shows no interest in going. She'll go a few steps before her eyes get dilated, her tail is between her legs and she begins to drool and back away from me. I always use positive reinforcement, as I know this breed is quite sensitive. Any advice would be very helpful... thank you!
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Jul 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I am not a vet in the past I have worked at some. I'm thinking you should take him to another vet to get checked out or take him back to your vet and explain the drool and backing away and everything. I would have thought and allergy but he's had the test so... or maybe he just had a bad experience outside in the past. I was thinking maybe its something different like arthritis maybe it hurts him to walk, maybe its worse. I certainly hope not and hope you find out what the cause of this is. Good Luck!
    lmangileri Posts: 211, Reputation: 11

Jul 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
    OK, I don't know where you live, if it's in the city or in the country or whatnot but our dog is like that when he goes outside sometimes. We have coyote very close to our house and we think he senses danger. We hear the coyote howling at night.
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Jul 22, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Oh I thought he was doing this a lot and it might be a big problem, but I bet you that's all it is, he does since danger and he's still pretty young he'll probably come out of it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to control my dog on walks? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a doberman. When I take her on walks she always walks right beside me but there are a few dogs in the same area that I pass by everyday, and she always jumps barks and acts wild. I have a prong collar since choke chains are of no use. But I pull and pull on the leash and she just whines and...

My dog will not take walks! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 15 week old min pin who will not take walks! He is a very active and social dog. When my boyfriend and I first got him, he would walk around outside a lot. Then, whenever I tried walking him on my own without my boyfriend, he would just sit there on the pavement! Wouldn't move. My...

This guy walks into a bar [ 2 Answers ]

... and he hears somebody shout out, "FORTY ONE!".. and the whole place breaks out in laughter. As he walks towards the bar, someone else shouts, "SEVENTEEN!" Again the whole place bursts into laughs. The guy orders his drink, and ask's the bartender, "What the hecks going on in here?" The...

My dog is getting fat but I can't take him for walks! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a puppy about 12 months old. His name is Cody and he's a mix. I want to take him for walks but he scratches when I put on his harness. What do I do! :confused:

Dog walks in his own poop? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 5 month old Boston Terrier. We leave him in the kitchen while we are at work, which is a pretty big area for the little guy. However, when we come home in the evening he has resorted to shredding his potty pad, walking in his own poop, and peeing in his bed. We are baffled. We know...

View more questions Search