Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George Gillette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Estate Accounts
    My spouse died and her bank wants to send a check to "The Estate of Blank BlanK" how does one go about opening an Estate Account?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Normally you will get an ID number for the account from the IRS and go to the bank and open one. Depending on the amount I would talk to the bank where you bank and ask them what they require to open one for you.

For a very large estate ( and I will assume your spouse had a separate account, since if it was a joint account the money merely goes to you without the estate account)

For large amounts you will need to go though probate and should have a probate attorney.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Hi, George,
    I am sorry to hear about your spouse. As in the previous answer, if you and your spouse had all your holdings in both names, there would be no need.
    But, if your spouse had holdings in only her name, then you really need to talk with your bank, ask them. Also, you probably will need a Lawyer, one with experience in estates, to give you some Professional advice on what to do first, etc. I do wish you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate accounts. & tax no. [ 3 Answers ]

My brother is the exector of my aunts estate. He has a joint checking account. The aunt died. Before she died she sent in forms to sell 9 different stocks. If my brother calls the IRS for a tax no. and they give him one. Can he start putting in the stock checks in the bank and start use the money...

Estate bank accounts [ 12 Answers ]

I ‘m trying to help a love one. They need to open estate bank accounts for a late brother’s estate. They are the volunteer administrator of estate. The only thing in the brother’s estate was about $2200.00. They have withdrawn the money from his account. I was told that they need to open an estate...

T accounts [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble putting together these T accounts: A invested 16000 from personal account B bought delivery trucks on account 1800 C bought office equipment for cash 600 D paid advertising 250 E collected cash for delivery 2600 F paid salaries 900 G paid gas for trucks 1200 H performed...

Bad Checking Accounts [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I received a phone call from a law firm re: a balance that I owe on a bad checking account. The gentleman told me that he was giving me a chance to pay voluntarily before they garnish my wages. Is a collector authorized to garnish my wages for a bad checking account?

Where do these Accounts go? [ 2 Answers ]

I have to prepare financial statements for an assignment and I was wondering on which statements these accounts are relevant and reported and what are they classified as(revenue, expense, liability, asset etc. ) Provision for Loss Accumulated Depreciation Allowance for Doubtful Accounts Any...

View more questions Search