Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janegirl08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 01:40 PM
    When to call it quits?
    Im a 29 year old divorcée / single mom. I left my husband because I found out he had been cheating on me. That was icing on the cake after he had slowly morphed into a controlling, alcoholic, scary man over the course of a 2 year marriage. Long story short, I got up the nerve to divorce him leaving me with only $200.00 to my name (because I was forbidden to work) and a 5 year old child. I pulled myself together, starting working again, and met a guy I had known from years ago but never dated, and started finding support in him as a friend. He helped me financially and emotionally and of course as much as I never wanted it to happen... I fell in love with him. After all, he was my former husbands complete opposite. He didn't drink, he had a great job, he was amazing with my child, he was sweet to me in every way, he always wanted me around. We moved in together... he would volunteer to babysit while I went out with my new girlfriends from work (something I was never allowed to do before)! It was great!! Then about a year into it which brings me to present... he wanted me to quit my job so we had no child care costs... I did. He doesn't like me going out... I don't. He used to go on and on about how attractive he thought I was... he doesn't. He wanted to spend every waking moment with me... not now. He's suddenly accusing me of being unfaithful when I had gone out in the beginning of our relationship (while he babysat and told me "you need to get out for a while") He is still AllStar Dad to my child, but he's resembling a kinder version of my ex to me. He tells me he thinks I might have fooled around on him earlier in the relationship and he needs the truth. The truth is that I did not. He doesn't believe me and says things won't be the same until he finds out what happened. This argument is getting more frequent as time goes by. He used to bring it up here and there... now its several times daily. I can't take the stress! I'm tired of defending myself. It's become very emotionally draining for me. He treats me like garbage when he starts with this fight... won't even touch me or speak to me. Then time goes by and he's OK and nice to me... then BAM out of nowhere we go at it again. Is now the time to end it? What else can be done? I worry my child will be hurt beyond repair. They have a very deep bond. One she has never had even with her father because he was never there. -At my wits end :confused:
    LostInHisEyez Posts: 130, Reputation: 15

Jul 22, 2008, 01:52 PM
    I'm sorry you had to go through all this hurt and heartache.
    From what I read, it seems like you've done nothing wrong, but attract the wrong men. (sorry if that sounded harsh) he's helped you get back on track, but not he's taking you down all over again, I would suggest finding another job, so if something were to happen, you'd have a litte more than just $200. You told him the truth, but maybe he doesn't want to believe it because maybe he's done something to you in the beginning of the relationship as well? Just get some money saved up, so you could have something to fall on in case
    lmangileri Posts: 211, Reputation: 11

Jul 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Is it possible that he has been unfaithful? They say when someone starts accusing his/her boyfriend/girlfriend of being unfaithful that they are actually the ones being unfaithful. This might not necessarily be the case but there's a lot of truth in that.
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
    This is a very common tendency in both men and women (to keep attracting or seeking the same kind of partner over and over.) was your father or mother controlling of you or each other? Did they often get into fights?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Andrew posted logical points and questions here.. so,

I'm not going to get into his (your BF)motives right now. Because what's important is the bond between you and your child, no matter who else enters your lives.

Your child is your main responsibility.. and we all know how relationships that go bad wind up just because we kept them 'because of the kids'.. You will not do your child a favor if you are under so much stress that you cannot concentrate on being a quality mom who's responsibility is to love, nurture and give your child a safe and warm environment to grow in.

So, which do you think is best for your child right now`? If you think that your child will never forgive you for taking someone away at this time in life, you are forgetting that a child feels the stress and will think this is the norm if you don't change it now.

Get harmony and peace of mind for the both of you as soon as possible. Childcare helps a child develop and is beneficial during the time while you work. But the quality time spent with a mom that is happy and not stressed out because of a relationship that no longer works for her is just as important during these impressionable years.

It's your choice dear, and we will be here to help you any time you need to talk and sort things out.

Good luck.

Try getting together with other single parents and share information, goals and progress. You'll see that you are not alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I call it quits? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I been married for 3 months been together for a year. About 3 weeks ago he left about 5pm and came home about 6 am; he did that for about 16 days. He and I got in to a yelling match every time he left he would find something to yell at me for and try to get me mad. Yes it did work. Then he...

Is it time to call it quits? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has accused me of cheating for 9 years and I have heard that he has went out on me. He drinks does drugs. We don't talk much. He has accused me of his friends and my brothers friends an my boss man. I have 2 kids. I feel like I have lost all respect for him. We don't kiss period.

Time to call it quits? [ 25 Answers ]

I've been married for 14 years and have not been happy for a great deal of it. I have two children, which is what has kept me in the marriage. I've always told myself that I'd stay for the kids, and leave when they are grown. My husband & I don't fight much so I didn't think the kids saw a whole...

When to call it a quits? [ 2 Answers ]

MY BOY says that I'm number one in his heart. I feel that I am not. The most important females in his life are his sister and mother than me. When they want something from him he hope , skips, and jumps for them but when I want something I get excuses and I can't or hold on. He complains to me when...

How do you know when to call it quits? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for 5 years and over the past few years our communiction has become non existent. I have started going to therapy for it but if I suggest him going with me or reading a book that I am reading on how to fix a marriage, he just gets pissed off. He thinks he has no...

View more questions Search