Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harkmut Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
    CAN Creditor freeze/Levy bank account that is not Mine?
    I am a POA/Agent on a bank account. I am NOT the account holder, and I am just an agent to execute transactions on the bank account. The Bank account actually belongs to my mother (not my wife)
    Can IRS or a Creditor who has obtained a judgement on me Levy this account even I am not an account Holder?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Hello Harkmut,

This account is in your Mothers name, therefore all monies held in this account belong to your Mother.

The creditor has no claim on any other assets, be it money or belongings, unless they are your personal possesions only.

The fact that you are an agent leads me to believe perhaps your Mother is elderly or maybe disabled, in which case, she needs some one to carry out her instruction regarding her affairs, however you would not have access to her bank acccount... regarding cash withdrawels with out her consent or signature.

So the fact remains that it is her money and not your own... therefore no one else has any claim on it, least off all, your creditors.

Jul 22, 2008, 02:05 PM
    THANK YOU Orphan for your answer!
    I am an agent/power of attorney to my mother's account- I am to carry out her transactions annd I can sign for checks and withdraw mony from this account. She is elderly and she prefers to deal with less in life.
    Being that I can withdraw money, can the creditor still take out money or freeze/levy this account? Once again, it's NOT a joint account and I am Not an account holder, mom is the sole account holder.THANKS!!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 03:07 AM
    Hi harkmut,

I did the same for my Mum.

You say you can draw money from your Mum's account and also sign her checks... but this I assume, is only on her instruction.. E.g for payment of her bills or outgoings.

You don't use her account to benefit yourself, without her permission!. therefore every transaction that goes through her account, will be shown on her statement at the end of each month, which if needs be can be proven against bills,reciepts etc...

I re-iterate that this is your Mothers account containing her monies, there is no way that your creditors can freeze or levy this money.. especially since I imagine is where her only source of income is.

I am just wondering why your Mum's account was even mentioned... all the creditors are interested in, is what monies or assetts you have in a bid to get their money.

Jul 23, 2008, 08:34 AM
    THANKS once again Orphan! LOLL No I only execute transactions as per moms wishes--
    A Wachovia Officer told me that one of her customer- the husband's account was frozen because of wife's judgement to which she was only a POA---i THOUGHT that MAYBE because they are "married" that would mmake a difference?
    How would a judge grant levy to my mom's account when I am only a POA--that just doesn't make sense to me, but the bank officer said that it happened before,
    To clarify this , that's why I posted here asking for your help.
    THANKS once again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freeze on bank account [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My bank account was frozen in feb last year due to credit card debt but about a week later I had my tax returns directly deposited into that same acct and ever since then I hava been getting a monthly statement with a balance! What happens to that money since the account was frozen already...

Bank account held by creditor [ 2 Answers ]

I found my bank account with a zero balance, Friday night, $1600 was missing. I called the bank and they said there was a judgement against me and my account was attached. I went to the bank the next morning and all they gave me was a phone number of a law firm they would not give me any...

Freeze on bank account due to a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bank account with just two deposits both direct from federal agencies. One is social security and the other is disability retirement from postal system. There are no comingled funds. In the state of Texas I have a judgement against me. Is this legaly enforceable to freeze my account...

Can they freeze my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

One more question if I was to get A judgement. Can they freeze my bank account There nothing in it. The only money that's coms is my s.s disabilty every month?? :confused: :confused: :

View more questions Search