Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gar-yee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 06:05 AM
    My dog won't eat
    My stop eating for the past 3 to 4 weeks. At first I try to mix in people food to it's dog food, because she'll eat people food. It works but then she started to leave out the dog food and just eat the people food. I took her to the vet times but they doesn't seem to help. Recently I can feel her ribs normally I can't really. I don't know if Yorkshire Terriers suppose to be skinny or what. I'm getting worried and the funny thing is that she is'nt feeling or look ill.:( :( :( :( :( :(
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Take her to the vet asap
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Hi, Gar-yee,
    People food is the worst kind of food to give any dog... it doesn't contain the vitamins and nutrients they need; and will make them fat!. taking off normally, about 4 to 5 years of their life, if too overweight.
    It is really, really hard to break a dog from eating people food; or should I say, "break" the owner from giving it to the dog!
    It will take some "tough love" to get her back into eating a good dry dog food. Just imagine a child, getting use to eating nothing but french fries, for quite awhile, then being told "no more french fries". It's hard.
    You will have to do this:
    1. Have persistence; and don't break down.
    2. Put a cup or cup and 1/2, depending on your dogs weight, and amount given on the dry dog food bag, down in the morning for her.
    3. Wait maybe an hour. If she hasn't eaten it, pick it up.
    4. Put it down again for dinner. Wait again for about an hour.
    Believe it or not, she will eventually start eating. I have never known a dog to starve itself to death when dog food is available, in over 50 years!
    It might take her a couple of days, to finally decide "What's happening? Where's my table food? Gues I'll have to eat this junk!"
    Try it, and stick with your decision. It will work, but only if you want it to badly enough. I do wish you good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat... Please help [ 6 Answers ]

My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

Dog won't eat help [ 1 Answers ]

My black lab who is about a year old just will not eat. He has never had any problems with not eating before. He just stopped eating about 4 days ago. I took him to the vet and he came back completely healthy and the vet force fed him a couple cans of dog food, but he still will not eat. He may...

View more questions Search