Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omaoma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Change of last name for child
    I am alseeking info (for my daughter-in-law) about changing her first son's name. His father took advantage of a date and then disappeared. The child was born receiving his mother's maiden name. Now that she and my son are married, they would like to change the child's last name. They do not have the money to go through adoption proceedings yet though.

Is there a simple name change possibility? My daughter-in-law would like her son to have a name consistent with his parents when he starts school.

Residence: tx
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2008, 10:02 AM
    The good news is that a person can go by any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. So, when she registers her son for school, she can tell the school that while his legal name is John Smith, that he goes by John Doe, her husband's surname.

The bad news is that, to LEGALLY change the name, they husband will have to formally adopt him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child name change [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about changing my kids last name to mine? Their father and ii were never married but he is on the birth certificate but no custody has been established. I have had them 24/7 and he barely sees them. They are 4 and 2.

Change name of my child [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 7 years old. He hasn't seen or heard from his father in almost 2 years. He has been asking me and my family if he can change his last name to my last name. How do I go about doing this? What does it involve? What are the costs?

I want to change the father for my child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 month old son. On his birth certificate his biological father is listed. Fortunatly his father hasn't been active in his life since he was five months old. I'm now in a relationship with a man that plans to marry me. My fiancé has been present in my sons life since he was six months...

My child wants to change her last name [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 and her biological father has not been in her life for at least 8 years. She wants to change her last name to my current husbands last name, he is the only father she has ever really had. She wants to change her name before she graduates or gets her licence. I don't have much...

Child name change [ 1 Answers ]

Never mind

View more questions Search