Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anneok2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Eviction of 18 year old child
    We have had nothing but trouble since she was very small. We adopted her and her brother she was 4 1/2 her brother 3 1/2. She has attachment disorder (my belief), diagnosed with conduct disorder. She has been arrested for property destruction at one residential facility and assault at another. She was in jail for 2 months for assault.
    We thought she had learned her lesson and we picked her up after the lawyer got her off with no bond just probation. She has pending court cases. Now she is up to her old tricks, stayed out all night and we didn't know where she was. She had walked to the mall to meet a boy (10 miles away) who would not come and pick her up and he took her out of town and she did not have a ride back. Her grandmother had just given her $20.00 which I'm sure she bought drugs with. When she finally did call I told her she needed to find some place else to stay because we didn't want her at home anymore. but we are sick of her upsetting our lives. The police then brought her back saying that it's against the law to kick her out. Our son (her brother) who we have also had trouble with was listening. The next thing I knew the police left with her. So I am not sure what's going on. But finally my question is why is it against the law to kick out a child who is 18? Why does the law enable these people to be freeloaders?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Since you adopted her your state may require you to care for her until 21
    Otherwise you have to do an eviction according to your state laws.

When did the police bring her back and what happened that she left with them?
    Is she still gone since then and how long?

Oh and what state/country are you in?
    anneok2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Missouri / Cole. I don't think so because the adoption subsidy and medicaid stop at age 18. The officer didn't even ask if they were adopted he just said you can't just kick them out at any age.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2008, 07:18 AM
    You can't just kick out someone legally living on the premises. You would have to go through a formal eviction process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c clutch kicking off and on [ 1 Answers ]

2002 v70 a/c is kicking off and on check freyon is full 40 low side 350 to 375 high side let it idle clutch stays on and cool,give it gas are go down the street and start blowing hot can it be the clutch wore.

Dad is kicking my children and I out [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 children and I have been residing in a condo owned by my father. Until now things have been fine. My father was helping me get on my feet after my 10 year marriage had ended. I recently started dating a man who they do not like. My father has used his key and come in to search my house while I...

AC not kicking out enough cool air [ 3 Answers ]

What can I do to my air conditioner or what is the problem if my room is not cold... I have it on 80 it feels good close by but my room is not cool enough?

Kicking out roommate [ 19 Answers ]

I am the signer of the lease I am in. I have a roommate who is destructive, inconsiderate and outright sloppy. I told her it would be best if she moved out and gave her a 30 day deadline. She is giving me problems about it and I want her out! What can I do? I am not the owner of the property,...

Boyfriend is kicking me out can he do this [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is kicking me out of the apt we both moved into at the same time but I wasn't here when he sighned the lease how many days do I have till I have to leave I don't have really anywhere to go and we just moved in on July 3 2007 what's the law?

View more questions Search