Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vARSITYteNNis Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Am I too old to start dancing?
    I would really love to dance, for fun, for school, it doesn't matter. I have never had any professional instruction when it comes to dance, but I can definitely bust a move. :cool: I learn very quickly and I am in GREAT shape from working out and playing tennis. But I would really love to make dancing a bigger part of my life. So, my question, is it to late for me to start really dancing for my school or even in college? That would be so much fun. Oh, and I'm 16. Thanks! :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:45 AM
    No you should be at the perfect age actually since you are good at it anyway.
    hellobea Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
    You will never be too old to start dancing like no one's looking. :)
    jazmine16 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Aug 2, 2008, 08:29 AM
    It's not too late for you to start dancing!
    Go ahead. Think of what kind of dance you want to learn and look for a school. I also started dancing when I was 13yrs. Old. I studied ballet and it really is difficult. If not because of my diligence and perseverance I wouldn't be able to reach the advance level for a short time. If you have the passion for it, then go for it! :))
    jobseeker13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vARSITYteNNis
    I would really love to dance, for fun, for school, it doesn't matter. I have never had any professional instruction when it comes to dance, but I can definately bust a move. :cool: I learn very quickly and I am in GREAT shape from working out and playing tennis. But I would really love to make dancing a bigger part of my life. So, my question, is it to late for me to start really dancing for my school or even in college? That would be so much fun. Oh, and I'm 16. Thanks! :)
    I doubt you are too "old" to have a dancing career. First, "old" is a state of mind; you can only be "old" if you feel that way. You say that you never had any type of professional instruction and can "bust a move". I think that is great, however, I would take a few lessons with a professional instruction. As good as you are, the instructor will only make you better. You may get lucky and find that the instructor was once on Broadway. Anything can happen, just never sell yourself short.
    askbeccab Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
    I think if your really love dancing your never to old you just have to practice just as hard because most girls start really young like me I started young but you should have no problem if you're a quike learner
    hellobea Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 11:47 PM
    You could always, always dance. If you're into it, then by all means, don't let anyone stop you! Remember: Youtube's always a click away if you need o learn something.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 11:51 PM
    In addition to the fine answers that have already been given, I am just curious as to why you are asking the question, please? You seem to have everything going for you to start dancing.

Thanks!
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Sounds to me like someone might be doubting their own possibilities! The sky is the limit, especially at the age of 16. Put your mind to it, check into all the options that you have, get serious about your love for dance - or just have fun with it on your own. The world is yours, put in some good music.. and dance! : )
    Hazel1220 Posts: 102, Reputation: 13

Sep 28, 2008, 01:01 AM

DANCE is true expression of how you feel inside. No one is too old to start dancing especially at 16! Go for it!
    ErisedRhapsodic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 01:25 AM
    16 is not that old, and besides, you're never too old to dance. :D And from the sound of it, you already dance occasionally. Maybe you should sign up for a class.
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:47 AM

Dance is really a beautiful art...
    You can start it at any age as your physic supports you...
    Bottom line is: Start now or never...
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Dec 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
    Ditto!! You are absolutely not too old! There are so many colleges that offer performing arts/dance. I also was always a good dancer but it wasn't until I went to college for it that I realized it put me ahead of the game. It depends what type of dance you like. Most colleges will make you take everything including ballet(don't get scared off), modern and jazz. Don't worry about the ballet. Some men do not like ballet. It's your base of all dance mostly. It will also strengthen and lengthen. You will use and train muscles you didn't know you had. When I taught, I had a couple of girls come into the class that were advanced in aerobics, however, they could barely walk out of the class. Keep up with the gym of course and just start taking a bunch of classes whether it be hip hop or ballroom. Best o' luck to you and DEFINITELY go for it. BTW, I started at 18, fully training that is.
    bbwilliams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 08:50 PM
    :mad: no your not to old stupid noo:mad:ne is to old to start dancing my 92 year old grandma dances well praise dances:
    jazmine16 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2008, 11:58 PM

As long as you have the passioon for it. No one can stop you :)
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Mar 14, 2009, 05:29 PM

16 years old? For a guy that's no problem for dance, especially if you are already athletic and like to move. Get going now to a class with a good teacher. Even for ballet it's not too old. For girls maybe, if they want to be professional, but definitely not for a guy. I started taking lessons at 14 in Russian folk dance, that's like sqatting while kicking legs out, and I did it on top of 3 tables then jumped off touching toes in mid air before landing. I couldn't walk after first lesson, but kept it up and made a career. But even 18 is not too old to begin for a guy. Go for it.
    joshrach1031 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2009, 08:11 AM

U are never to old to learn anything I started dancing when I first saw michael jackson perform ever since then I was dancing and learning new things like noe I am learning jazz and ballet if anyone needs help with any move they can't seem to perform properlylet me know I can give you advice but just keeping pushing forward learning only makes you that much better

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dancing with my dog? [ 718 Answers ]

Ok, so what do you think guys? Do I need to get a life? Here I am sitting at home alone on a Friday night dancing with my dog! :o Should I seek help? By the way, the best slow song we danced to was "What a Wonderful World" (Rod Stewart version.) Now I'm thinking of putting on some old...

Amazing dancing dog [ 4 Answers ]

I saw this and was amazed at the interaction. I wonder how long they worked before they got this so smooth! Chien Danseur

Dancing [ 3 Answers ]

I'm goining in to middle school and where goinig to have a dance well my ex boy-friend has a new girl friend but she is older so should I ask him or say I'm goining in a group and ask him to join us should I go with my friends or should I go by myself hhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeelllllllllpppppppp ...

Significance of dancing [ 1 Answers ]

Why has dancing evolved as such an important dating 'tool'; relating tool - making first contact via observing each other dance. What important message is being expressed. Also what is the percentage of woman vs. men who enjoy dancing in the hetero and in the homosexual communities?

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

View more questions Search