Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reeeeg716 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Rattling pipes
    I live in a split foyer house built in mid 80's. I have had a problem with pipes rattling every since I moved there 7 years ago. The problem has worsened and now the pipes rattle all the time even when you are not using the water. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
    It can be number of things. Check on the following first:

1. Loose pipes in walls, ceiling
    2. Too high water pressure
    3. Loose washer in one of your angle stops, valves, or pressure regulator
    4. Thermal expension

What's your pressure ? Do you have copper plumbing ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Wait, are you saying the pipe rattle when no water is being used?

Jul 23, 2008, 10:16 AM
    To first reply- yes I have good pressure and copper pipes.

To the second reply, yes, it rattles even when the water is not on anywhere in the house. Rattles every 10-15 minutes.

Jul 23, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Regis, this will require some good detective work because pipes should not rattle if there is no water being used. However, if the pipes rattle every 10-15 minutes there may be a appliance or fixture that draws water periodically like an ice maker or leaking toilet ballcock. Lets start by closing your main incoming water line to see if that stops the rattle. Back to you for your results.
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
    First, make sure you have 55 lbs of pressure in your house.

It is most likely that you have a loose part in your plumbing fixture, or valve, somewhere in your house.

Go to the least used bath in your house and close water supply to toilet and sink. Leave it for couple of days. See if the noise persists.

Also, next time your pipes rattle again - stop immediately and try to remember what plumbing fixture was used at that moment. Or who was doing what inside your house ( for instance: washing machine was on, or outside hose valve was being used, wife taking shower etc... ).

Jul 24, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Thanks for your reply, I called my water company yesterday to see if there had been any line work in my area. The supervisor came out yesterday evening and observed the problem. His suggestion was to change the pressure valve and see if that helps. Pulsing and rattling pipes when no water is on is unusual but we have lots of pressure and felt if the valve was going bad, it would allow water to remain in the pipes and make the rattling noise. He is going to change it out and I will update you.

Jul 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
    I am surprised that the supervisor would make this recommendation without checking further. Attaching a pressure gauge to a tap watching it when the noise happens would help determine of the PRV is the problem.
    jj84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 10:58 PM
    I have the same issue- Please update on what you did to resolve the issue:confused:
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2008, 07:35 AM

The First thing I would suggest to check your water pressure as Milo and Bob says use a water pressure gauge see the Image below, is very much possible that your PRV is at fault and you may be able to adjust the pressure, normal residential water pressure should be between 45 to 60 psi, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

jj84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Hey John,
    Thanks for answering so promptly. No, the pressure gauge is within normal limits <45 PSI. The sound started ever since we had a plumber come by to fix a clogged toilet. We live in the basement, and the water drainage is horrible.
    It starts when we turn on the shower/ sink and remains while water is running- so I don't think it's water hammer ( not just with the sudden change is pressure when I turn on and off the water)
    Starting last night, there were rattling noises from the ceiling about every 15minutes even with no water running. It stopped now though.
    We had no new pipes recently installed so I'm not really suspecting loose pipes?
    Best
    JJ
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 12:08 PM

Next time the pipe rattling starts, turn off the stop valve under the toilet and let us know if that stops the rattling.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 08:17 PM

I agree with Hkstroud: open and close your angle stops at toilet and sink. That should do...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rattling in the house when AC is on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, hoping someone could help me with this. When I turn my AC on upstairs (3 level house), I hear a low to moderate rattling noise upstairs. When I checked out the furnace room in the basement, I could also hear a similar rattling noise in the ceiling where the vents are. There's no noise from the...

Carrier furnace, Rattling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 8000TS with WeatherMaker furnace. It puts out enough heat and keeps up with thermostat control however while it is blowing heat there is a very loud clicking sound coming from inside the furnace. It sounds like someone is putting a stick in a rotating fan so I opened up the access...

Rattling cold tap [ 3 Answers ]

We recently fitted new taps to the sink and bathroom. The cold tap in the sink occasionally makes a loud noise and rattles when turned on a little way. Turn it further and the rattling stops. It doesn`t happen every time. What can it be?

No Hot water to one pipe and rattling/squealing [ 4 Answers ]

Sounds like I have a problem exactly as this: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/kitchen-hot-water-stops-flowing-35745.html?highlight=hot ------ Think it's been a ongoing problem for a long while. I just never noticed it before... what basically used to happen was... I'd run hot...

Rattling refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of the absolutely unhingingly annoying rattling/squealing sound eminating from the back of my refrigerator. It is a frigidaire gallery about 5 or 6 years old. I have asked my landlord to look at it but he says its normal. I think its normal for him to...

View more questions Search