Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheyenne187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 11:15 PM
    Landlord breaks lease in Florida
    Hello,

My question is: Our landlord asked us on June 1st if we could move out early so that the owner of the home could move back into his home. We agreed verbally to move, on July 1st we moved into a new home in which is $150 more on the mth. Also we were told that they would provide a moving truck ( never did) and that the security deposit would be transferred over to the new home after inspection. We are being charged for lawn service which took place on July 8, when we mowed the lawn on June 29. Also we are being charged for normal wear and tear (painting the home due to marks from furniture exc... ) All and All 1,060.57 is being claimed for damages to the other home. I agree there were some damages, but normal wear and tear and mowing a lawn 7days after we move out and doing a favor to them by moving out early. I feel that we are being punished for moving. What do we get out of this higher bills! Is there any law on this situation for the Landlord breaking the lease early and not providing moving expenses? Thank You

I feel we have done all for them and nothing from them for us.
    Dank Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 01:36 AM
    First things first, contact your landlord and try to reason with him. Discuss the damages and the lawn care issue with him and try to get him to adjust his claimed damages/costs.

If that doesn't work, take him to small claims court. Do you have your contract with the landlord? You will want to read that in detail and bring it with you to court. The verbal agreement about breaking the contract is weak, but will hold up if the landlord doesn't dispute it, and if it makes sense as to why it was done.

Concerning the damages, it is the landlord's responsibility to complete the pre-inspection with new tenants, if he didn't complete this with you it will be difficult to impossible for him to prove what damage you allegedly caused. If you completed an inspection on your own, bring any pictures or descriptions of the state of the house when you moved in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida law regarding breaks and lunch breaks [ 17 Answers ]

I am searching for the law pertaining to Florida breaks and lunch breaks for at will employees. Thank you

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Florida Labor Law regarding breaks [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: I work for a company who provides us a 30 minute unpaid lunch break. We are also allowed breaks in between but they are unpaid. We have to clock out if we forget our lunch in the car, or to smoke, or to prepare a snack, pretty much any reason we leave our desk other than to go to...

No lease Florida law Landlord rights [ 3 Answers ]

How can a landlord evict a tenent from a trailer that had no landlord-tenant lease

No lease Florida law Landlord rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have rented a room (within my home) with no written lease tenant to pay weekly. Utilities were not included in rent. The tenant is now past due on her rent and electric. Also, when I confronted her about the balance she verbally threatened me with bodily harm. What are my rights? I wish...

View more questions Search