Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EtKing Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Jul 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Stupid Computer
    my computer is acting stupid. What happens is that every program I try to open freezes.
    When I try to open windows media player, it freezes. When I open control panel is freezes.
    Not the computer but the program. The little network picture at the bottom right corner shows an x but I have internet. When I open up internet explorer it doesn't come up. Or mozilla Firefox. I have to use mozilla Firefox on safe mode. I don't know why. Does anybody know how or at least have an idea what might be wrong?
    bellboy Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Programs freezes or crash from several reasons. It could be memory issue or another program conflicting with each other. Can you describe your computer in detail. What operating system your using (Vista or XP). How much memory your system is using. Did this happened just out of the blues or after you installed some kind of program.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Try and run ccleaner, a registry cleaner/optimizer - this should help some

Ccleaner (Freeware)
    Download CCleaner 2.09.600 - FileHippo.com
    On the right hand side, click download latest version

Jul 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellboy
    Programs freezes or crash from several reasons. It could be memory issue or another program conflicting with each other. Can you describe your computer in detail. What operating system your using (Vista or XP). How much memory your system is using. Did this happened just out of the blues or after you installed some kind of program.
    Its Windows Vista.
    And It Started After My Internet Got Disconneted

Jul 22, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    try and run ccleaner, a registry cleaner/optimizer - this should help some

ccleaner (Freeware)
    Download CCleaner 2.09.600 - FileHippo.com
    on the right hand side, click download latest version
    See I downloaded that. And then it froze while I clicked open
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Have you tried system restore to a time before this started happening

You can use system restore in normal or safe mode

Jul 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
    have you tried system restore to a time before this started happening

you can use system restore in normal or safe mode
    Yea I tried that but it still doesn't do anything.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Whether you are running a firewall, a virus scanner, or a spyware scanner, and what brand and version if known.

A list of any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

Try and right click on network icon in taskbar and click diagnose and repair

Jul 23, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Whether or not you are running a firewall, a virus scanner, or a spyware scanner, and what brand and version if known.

A list of any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

try and right click on network icon in taskbar and click diagnose and repair
    I'm using McAfee Security Center. But it freezes too.
    If that answers your question.
    And I Did. It Says Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy is not running. Then it says click to open Service Control Manager. But nothing happens.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Diagnostics Policy is not running

If you haven't already,
    Start, run, type services.msc and hit enter

Go down list till you see Diagnostics Policy Service and right click, then properties

Where it says Startup type:
    -Change to Automatic
    -Click Apply

Now click the Start button and check to see if problem perstists with the netork icon or helps situation and/or any messages that may come up

Jul 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Diagnostics Policy is not running

if you haven't already,
    Start, run, type services.msc and hit enter

go down list till you see Diagnostics Policy Service and right click, then properties

Where it says Startup type:
    -Change to Automatic
    -Click Apply

Now click the Start button and and check to see if problem perstists with the netork icon or helps situation and/or any messages that may come up
    Nothing comes up.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 07:20 PM
    When you click on start and then run and type in services.msc, nothing comes up?

And when you go to service control manager, no messages or anything comes up?

And you have tried to go into "safe mode" and then do a system restore?
    What happens?

Try disabling mcafee from starting with computer to see if any difference

Jul 23, 2008, 07:44 PM
    when you click on start and then run and type in services.msc, nothing comes up?

and when you go to service control manager, no messages or anything comes up?

And you have tried to go into "safe mode" and then do a system restore?
    What happens?

try disabling mcafee from starting with computer to see if any difference
    Yea I tried all of that. But nothing works.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
    you ca try to do a repair installation, not a full recovery from scratch, but a repair installation - to do this though. You must have Retail Full or Upgrade Vista installation DVD to do this

If you have the retail or upgrade dvd,Here's How:

1. Insert the Vista DVD into the DVD drive while your current Vista is running.
    WARNING: Do not boot the computer and run the Vista installation DVD from boot. A upgrade install will not work this way.

2. Click on Install Now to start the upgrade. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: If AutoPlay does not load the Vista setup screen, then open your DVD drive in Computer and click on the Setup file.

3. If you want Vista to check for updates during the installation, then click on that to select it.
    NOTE: It will install faster if you select Do not get the latest updates for installation. You can install them later through Windows Update.

4. Do not type in a product key.

WARNING: If you do type in the same activated product key that you already have installed, then you can end up in Reduced Functionality Mode. See: How to Get Out of Reduced Functionality Mode in Vista

5. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked.

6. Click Next.

7. Click the No button for the Do you want to enter your product key now? Prompt.

8. Select which edition of Vista you have. (See screenshot below)

9. Check I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased and click Next.

10. Click on the Upgrade option.

11. Follow any instructions left until Vista is through installing and has rebooted to the final welcome screen on the Vista desktop.

12. Remove the Vista installation DVD.

13. Run Disk Cleanup.

NOTE: For how, see: How to Use Disk Cleanup in Vista
    A) Check Files discarded by Windows upgrade. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: These will be the leftover upgrade files, C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\$WINDOWS.~Q, that did not get copied over. If any personal username files are missing, it would be in these folders.

B) Click OK to delete it.

14. Now all you need to do is to activate Vista.
    NOTE: For how, see: How to Activate Vista Normally and by Phone Activation
    A) Right click Computer (Start Menu) and click Properties, or open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click on the System icon.
    B) Scroll down a bit and click: Activate Windows Now.

If you do not have this dvd or can not get a hold of one, I would save all your important doxs, files, etc.. And restore system and when installing new apps or programs, if you do not already, always right click on the setup.exe or install.exe files and choose run as admin

I know this is last resort, see if you can contact mfg of PC to see if they have any support available

You can try to go into safe mode and uninstall apps that you have that you know you can install again at a later time and uninstall them to see if you can find out which program may have caused all of this to happen. If you choose to go this route, always keep ccleaner on hand to clean the registry of old and obsolete values

I hope others can add to thread to help out, but there is something with the operating system that is not right, and it is not letting you do anything

Jul 24, 2008, 11:13 AM
    you ca try to do a repair installation, not a full recovery from scratch, but a repair installation - to do this though. You must have Retail Full or Upgrade Vista installation DVD to do this

If you have the retail or upgrade dvd,Here's How:

If you do not have this dvd or can not get a hold of one, I would save all your important doxs, files, etc.. and restore system and when installing new apps or programs, if you do not already, always right click on the setup.exe or install.exe files and choose run as admin

I know this is last resort, see if you can contact mfg of PC to see if they have any support available

You can try to go into safe mode and uninstall apps that you have that you know you can install again at a later time and uninstall them to see if you can find out which program may have caused all of this to happen. If you choose to go this route, always keep ccleaner on hand to clean the registry of old and obsolete values

I hope others can add to thread to help out, but there is something with the operating system that is not right, and it is not letting you do anything
    Thank you. Hopefully that will work. I appreciate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being stupid? [ 9 Answers ]

I went out with this guy last year April and we went for six months,the relationship was good cause I used to be with this guy 24/7,he made sure that every time he came back from work he came to see me no matter what,but now ever since I've moved out things have changed between the two of us(we...

Would I be stupid if. [ 14 Answers ]

If I text my ex saying I want us to at least be friendly with each other. I miss her so mucha and maybe doing this she will start to want to be a part of my life. I'm going insane here.

Stupid computer [ 10 Answers ]

I have a demisnion dell XPS P100c computer with 32 megs of ram; a 1 gig and a 5 gig hard drive. When ever I try to boot of a cd to install linux; I get an error: Missing OS. I have formated both hard drives creating a primary and logical drives, with the fdisk utility on a floppy version of...

View more questions Search