Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvmyRoxy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 03:07 PM
    My Puppy is in Heat and is Scheduled to be Spayed
    Hi my little baby Roxy is scheduled to get spayed next week and I am super nervous... I was wondering if I need to be home with her the next day when after surgery. I am scheduled to work Friday and her surgery is on Thursday... Also she is currently in heat and I don't think she will be finished by the time she gets spayed is this okay to do or should I postpone the surgery until she is out of heat? I guess Im a paranoid mommy :confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Yes, you are being paranoid. It doesn't matter if she is in heat and yes, you should be home with her after her surgery.

Jul 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
    I know I can be a little paranoid... Thanks for the answer... I will schedule that day off so we can have the entire weekend together so I can care for her
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 08:12 PM
    I'd talk to the vet about possibly delaying the surgery. While they are in heat, the blood supply to the uterus increases, making it more likely that you get bleeding complications during or after the surgery. The vet may still be willing to do the spay, but it may cost more, and if you can decrease the risk by waiting a week or two, I would. So, call, is my suggestion.

Jul 22, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyRoxy
    Hi my little baby Roxy is scheduled to get spayed next week and I am super nervous... I was wondering if I need to be home with her the next day when after surgery. I am scheduled to work Friday and her surgery is on Thursday... Also she is currently in heat and I don't think she will be finished by the time she gets spayed is this okay to do or should I postpone the surgery until she is out of heat? I guess Im a paranoid mommy :confused:
    Thanks Froggy, I postponed the surgery till the 31st... I am hoping that this will be okay... The vet said that yes they would still do the surgery and yes it will cost more due to the extra blood that is involved... I just worry about her. I would die if something God forbid was to happen to her... I just want to take every precaution needed for my little baby girl. I have been told that she could stay in heat for about 6-8 weeks, and Im not sure if I want to wait just because I am afraid that something might happen, I don't want her to get pregnant. Even though I don't let her around any other dogs, and I always have her on a leash if I go on walks with her, it's just that small possibility you know.

Thanks
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Well, if she does get bred, you can still spay her right after she comes off heat. This would abort any pups, but that early in the pregnancy the risk to the mother from doing it is very small. Keep her inside as much as possible, and I would hold off on the walks if you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy on Heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Dachshund puppy who has just gone into heat. I have a 2-year old male Dachshund. I am trying to prevent her from getting pregnant this young. I was just informed by a friend that it is dangerous for a dog to get pregnant on their first heat-cycle. If she does get pregnant,...

Spayed puppy [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 month old golden retriever was spayed on Thursday morning and she woke up this morning and it was extrmely red around the wound, has been bleeding ramdonly throughout the day and very swallon. Should I be concerned or can I do anything to make it better:(

Puppy was spayed yesterday, after care? [ 5 Answers ]

Callie was spayed yesterday. When I picked her up the ran down the list of aftercare instructions but I was so focused on her and my daughter who wasn't behaving that I would like to make sure I heard correctly. She was very groggy yesterday, barely moved and slept all day. This morning she woke...

Scheduled for Arbitration [ 3 Answers ]

I received a notice that my case ( being sued by Capitol One) is scheduled for arbitration. I am not sure what I should do now. I was reading that arbitration is not such a good thing and that it would be better for litigation before a judge. Can I appeal the arbitration hearing and request to...

View more questions Search