Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newslady08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Dog FREAKs at Ice
    Hi there!

We have a 3-year-old Sheltie. She's a wonderfully cuddly, sweet dog, but she FREAKS out when we get ice out of the freezer. She starts jumping when we get a glass out of the cupboard, but she goes full out NUTS when we actually get the ice---barking, growling, nipping, scratching!! It's awful! She'll even run all the way down the stairs and BOLTS into the kitchen if she hears it going off.

How do we break this horrible habit?

Thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Have you tried putting some in her bowl and make sure she watches.
    Then she can sniff it and get use to it.
    Not sure if that would cure her in time but may be worth a try.
    newslady08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 02:53 PM
    She LOVES eating/licking ice :) That's not the problem! She just goes CRAZY when she hears that noise. We've tried holding her and saying, "No!", we've tried peanut butter and LOTS of praise when it goes off so she doesn't think of it as a bad thing... I just don't know what to do. If we ever have kids, I'm scared she's going to hurt one of them if they go to get ice!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Then she is getting overly excited about ice rather than a freak out paranoia
    My boxer when I was a kid got the same way when somebody would light a cigarette.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 21, 2008, 04:09 PM
    You could try this little exercise. Have someone shake the ice, and then take her favorite treats and ask her to do tricks, like sitting down, or laying down, speaking and so on... This makes it so the dog gets to thinking when the ice shakes, I have to listen to my master. It also makes it so the dog is pre-ocupied, dogs can only handle one thing at a time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Was it the right decision to break up with my first love? [ 18 Answers ]

Threads merged My boyfriend freaks out around anything that has to do with marriage.guys? So I've been with my boyfriend for about 2 years. It seems as if he loves me more than I do (I don't really think so, he just shows it more) He tells me he loves me at least 2-3 every time I see him....

I feel like I have to lie to my jealous husband - he freaks out about everything! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm new to this site but I saw some good advice so I thought I'd try my problem here. I've been with my husband for 5 years, married for 3. He's always been jealous and I know that, but I work in a field where there are a lot of guys. I am forced to work with them and interact with them....

Anti-evolution or Freaks of nature? [ 7 Answers ]

Here's a question I would like to pose: Survival of a species depends on it's ability to adapt to its environment. Humans, however, adapted the entire planet to suit ourselves. Would this not be some sort of anomalic 'anti-evolution'? And if so, what would be the purpose for a species evolving...

View more questions Search