Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Travis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2004, 03:43 AM
    1982 Chevrolet G20 Speedometer
    Hi Everyone,

I have a puzzling situation.

My 1982 Chevrolet G20 Speedometer cable keeps getting shreaded and tangled on the inside of the cable at the point where it connects to the transmission.

It just started happening a couple months ago. Unfortunetly
    I've gone through a few replacement cables since then.
    Any idea why this is happening?

As fun as driving around without a speedometer is, I'd like an idea of what might be going on.

Before this problem started to occur my Speedometer was always reporting 20km under what the vehicle was actually going. But operation of the speedometer needle was smooth. And the cruise control transducer the speedometer cables connect to, did not work. But the needle was smooth in operation.

Installing the cables I find at the wreckers, the Speedometer needle is Jerky and bouncy. I presume that is a side effect of the Speedometer cable being shreadded on the inside. The cable usually lasts a half hour.

P.S. if it makes any difference, my Van is equipped with a 400 Turbo transmission. Instead of a stock 350 transmission.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2004, 06:41 AM
    Re: 1982 Chevrolet G20 Speedometer
    The non stock transmission could be causing both the speedometer error and the cable failure. The turbo may use a different final drive gear ratio causing the error. You may also lack clearance. You might try one more cable, being very careful not to bend it any further than you have to to install it.

Check your engine and transmission mounts. One could be going bad, allowing the transmission to shift bending the cable too far. Correct that problem, and the cable may last longer. You may or may not be able to buy a new gear for the speedometer to correct the error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"smoking after idle" 1982 Honda Civic w/ great compression [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 1982 Honda Civic Wagon, 185 k miles, religious oil changes (per service records). It's due for timing belt. Car sat for 3 years without bieng started, I have installed a new (rebuilt) carb and EGR valve (restrictor on EGR valve not installed... ), also new plugs, wires,...

Speedometer problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1982 chev impala station wagon pretty plain, 305 v8 and 3 speed auto with lockup. I am having an ongoing problem with its speedometer. Originally the problem was a really jerky needle. It would go up the gauge fine until I would hit say 70km, as soon as I let off the gas the needle...

Chevrolet Cavalier 2002 [ 2 Answers ]

All of a sudden, out of the blue, my car starts squeaking and creaking. Sounds like the front end is going to fall out. It is specifically when the tires go over a bump. Doesn't get worse when turning or pulling into my driveway. Does it need a lube? Is it the shocks? Is it the chassis? Help.

View more questions Search