Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Stuck Screws
    Hello
    I am trying to upgrade my dell inspiron b130's hard drive. I now have everything I need to do this except that the two screws that hold in the hard drive cover are stuck. I have tried colling the screws but no dice. If someone Knows any way to get the screws out or a way to get out the remainder of the screw out if I remove the screw head.
    Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Mmmmm, let me see... a very cautious application of WD40 and patience. Do you have your hard drive off the floor and out of the damp ?
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I am worried about the computer smelling like wd40 for a while. Also It is important the drive doesn't get damaged. The computer is a laptop so the hard drive is wherever the computer is.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Okay, then your signature is exactly what you answered 'what I say and what I mean are often cvery different things'. So I guess, solarrigger2000 you had better change your moniker !

I don't think the computer will smell like WD40, I have never noticed an odor from using it.

When posting a question on this board, just tell us ALL.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
    It's very important to have a screwriver that fits the scre perfectly. You didn't mention if it's phillps, Pozidrive (look like phillips), Torx or whatever. It also can't be a cheap scredriver. I have screwdrivers from Wiha such as these: Screwdriver Sets Precision Series In Storage Pouch From Wiha

Not seeing a picture, not sure how to approach the problem Larger scres I usually slot with a Dremel. Heat might also be used. Say an allen wrench to a gas stove or torch and place against the head.

You may have stripped the head already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Screws into corian? [ 12 Answers ]

I am installing some corian in a boat - part of it will be a door over an icebox and needs a piece of hardware attached to it to lift it up. How can I attach the stainless steel pulltab to the corian? Can I drill and attach screws? - should the holes be tapped first or could this damage the...

Drywall screws [ 1 Answers ]

By the nec are drywall screw allowed for securing electrical componets

I'm Stuck: broken screws holding bathtub drain plate [ 1 Answers ]

I have run into a problem trying to fix the mechanism in the bathtub that catches hair that otherwise might clog the bathtub drain. This is a Kohler product. I removed the round knob that moves the drain up and down. Then when I went to remove the brass screws that hold the plate underneath...

Old bath tub faucets without set screws [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all We are redoing our master bath. The house is 16 years old and the bathtub faucets do NOT have set screws that we can see. There is a small indent on the side of the handle the size of a flat head screwdriver and that's it. My husband is tempted to cut these off... please HELP! I can...

Accord 2003 - Air filter screws stuck [ 1 Answers ]

I just broke 2 phillips screwdrivers attempting to remove the air filter cover of my Accord 2003. Only one screw unlocked. Bad move, I used an impact driver on another one and lightly broke the pastic casing. It still seems usable. How do I remove these screws? Is drilling the screws off the only...

View more questions Search