Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeNotHandy Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Bad Odor First Few Seconds of Running Sink
    This only happens with our kitchen faucet; none of our other faucets do this.

We turn it on after not running it for a while and a nasty odor comes out;:eek:

It seems to go away after 20 seconds or so.

Can someone tell me what might cause this and how to remedy it?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 21, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Try this. Tonight pour a half gallon of bleach down each drain and let it set over night. Next morning flush it out with hot water. Smell better now? Good luck, Tom

Jul 29, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Thanks, Tom.

We tried this. It didn't fix it. I also thought it was from the drain, but I tested it last night by simply waiting for a while and then running the water into a bowl not letting any get to the drain. The water smelled bad, so it must be in the faucet somehow.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Do you have any filters of water puerfiers on that line. If it were the water itself you should notice odor at other faucets. Must be something on the pipe.

Jul 30, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Nope, no filters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water runs for 30 seconds and then stops running [ 8 Answers ]

For 5 days now whenever we turn on a faucet the water runs as expected for maybe 30 seconds and then just quits running. This is happening in the kitchen, shower, washing machine, basically everywhere in the house. We live outside the city limits and just recently started receiving 'city' water...

Upstairs Bathroom Sink - Cold water tab runs very warm for first 30 seconds. [ 14 Answers ]

I do not know much about plumbing. I live in the USA. I have a 60 gallon gas water heater. My problem started maybe a month or two ago. In the bathroom sink of my home's second story the cold water in the sink will run very warm (almost hot) for the first 30 seconds. After that it goes back to...

How do I get rid of kitchen sink odor? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of midew in the kitchen sink?

Odor whe running water [ 11 Answers ]

I get a foul odor when I run the water only in the upstairs bathroom and when I'm doing laundry I can't tell if it's the water or the drain

Odor from Sink [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my kitchen sink. I have a horrible odor coming from the sprayer when it is being used. I have a double sink. The garbage disposal is on one side and the sprayer is on the other. The faucet straddles the middle. The odor only happens when I am using the sprayer. It is...

View more questions Search