Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jh91hj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Compal FL90 won't boot
    So the laptop I've been using for about... 3 months or so one day would not turn on. I would push the power button, the fan would whirl noticeable (I'm not sure if this is new or not), the fan would stop, the loading screen of phoenix technologies (which always comes up whenever I used to start it) comes up that usually lasts for about half a second before going on to the typical Windows Vista Loading screen. The "phoenix technologies" loading screen has on the bottom F2 and F12 options.

Well, sometimes after or sometimes before the loading screen the computer suddenly turns off and beeps. I've tried to push F2 or F12 when the loading screen comes up but the computer shuts down before anything happens. I've got this laptop for free for a scholarship I did so I'm not sure about the warranty or anything, and I would probably go to fry's or somewhere to find out what's wrong. But do any of you have any ideas?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 01:18 AM
    The Phoenix Technologies screen is what's displayed during the computer's Power On Self Test (POST). Most POST routines generate beep codes when there is a problem detected. You can go to Compaq's web site and lookup the technical documentation for your laptop model and discover what the beeps are trying to tell you. If you only get a single beep, that's normal for most computers at the end of POST, and your problem is likely a boot sector that cannot be read off the hard drive and consequently the computer is unable to boot, although you typically get a "boot sector unavailable" or "drive not readable" message in this situation.

However, given that the computer shutsdown, that typically happens if POST detects a problem that would result in damage or a hardware incompatibility that doesn't allow it to continue. Suggest you take laptop to repair shop and have them diagnose. Even if you determine the problem, most laptops are a pain to disassemble and repair components if you don't have prior experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC won't boot up [ 6 Answers ]

My PC will not boot up (I have reverted to my old steam-driven machine for this!). Just before this problem arose the screen/cursor froze and I had to re-boot. It did this a couple of times shortly after re-booting before finally refusing to re-boot at all. When I switch it on, it goes through (or...

I can't boot from CD [ 9 Answers ]

I tried booting from thecd but I cant. I wanted to do XP system repair. It doesn't give the option... I even checked on the BIOS to see if it is the first and the computer is reading the CD drive. Can you help me...

Cannot boot from CD [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bunch of spyware that no program I've tried can get rid of, so I've decided to start from scratch and format. As I understand it I need to boot from my XP cd to do this, here's the problem. The CD-ROM drive that the computer came with is stuck, it turns out. There's an audio CD in it...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

View more questions Search