Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
    10 year old cockatiel behavior
    We have a ten year old cockatiel who seems to be spending more time sitting on the bottom of her cage than she ever used to. Is this from getting older? She does come out on the perches and peeps and eats well. Is this normal as a bird gets older? Why do birds stay on the cage bottom except to sleep?? Thanks, Helen Ag.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Aug 6, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Many different reasons for this ,

However first would need to know if you have made any changes at all to the bird

i.e. diet,
    Routine
    Moved the cage etc,

It could all have a sudden decided it wants to nest, I've had cockatiels breeding at the ripe age of 23 and produce chicks , although I would have thought they were all duds apparently I was wrong on this instance,
    It may also have damaged its foot or legs or it may have had a fright which has stopped it perching on the perch

I'm not sure why all of a sudden the bird wanted to stop perching so I'm assuming their has been something to change its habbits ,
    Hope you can find the answer as to why it is now sleeping on the floor
    Regards
    Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What to feed a cockatiel [ 13 Answers ]

My niece found a cockatiel in the mountains. She said she held her arm out and it came to her. Lord only knows where it came from because she is from a very rural area. She went to the store and bought seeds for it but she said that it only picks out certain ones and eats them. I need suggestions...

Cockatiel babies [ 1 Answers ]

In about 3 months I am getting a cockatiel. The breeder is very nice and we have very good recommendations. She is going to hand rear the bird for me as this is my first, however I am interested in the different stages the babies go through and the mom's pregnancy etc. If anybody has any good links...

Cockatiel as a new pet [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend's rude friend decided to give my 5 year old a bird for her b-day without asking permission. So, needless to say I need to learn about cockatiels. For instance, do their cages need to be covered for them to sleep well? Any help would be appreciated, I now worry about the bird 24-7. :)

My 12 year old's behavior.Lying specifically [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old daughter that loves to stay on the cell phone, well text really, and she lies constantly and is very sneaky. I have preached till I don't know whatelse to do. I have her in Church and have explained that she needs to focus on school, not boys... Help:eek:

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search