Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donkeykong Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Cracked Furnace Pipe
    Hello everyone
    I have a quick question. One of the pipes which is attached to our furnace and leads outside cracked about 8 months ago. The repairman came and took care of it using waterproof adhesive sealant. A few weeks ago, another repairman came to clean up a natural gas leak and I asked him to inspect our heater. He inspected and told me that it hadn't been repaired correctly. I asked him what to do, who to call, etc. but he got a call and ran off.
    Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 07:26 AM
    If it's a duct "leading outside", you should find
    1. one going to your chimney that vents the exhaust, and
    2. newer systems have one leading outside that is actually additional cold air intake.

If it's an intake, you can use good duct tape with no problems at all. If it's the one venting exhaust, then you should replace the section that is cracked.

Apr 4, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Thanks rickj for the quick reply

The pipe that I'm referring to is the one venting exhaust, but it leads out the side wall. I'll try to post a pic.
    So I should only replace the portion that's cracked and not replace it altogether? Does it pose any health risks?
    Thanks again
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Yes, absolutely, on the health risks. That exhaust is heavy carbon monoxide... and gets real hot, which is why you can't just use duct tape on it.

... and yes, a digital pic will be helpful.

(The upload option (called Manage Attachments) is visible once you click on the Answer this Question button).

Apr 4, 2006, 11:59 AM
    But wouldn't heavy co kill you in a matter of minutes? Also, my co detector doesn't go off. I do however have trouble sleeping at home. During my spring break, I slept over at a couple of friends houses and I slep like a baby but at home, I have poor sleep.
    Thanks again
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
    With just a crack, most of the CO is going out... but at the same time you don't want to say "oh well, a little extra CO won't hurt me". I don't use a CO detector so don't know about the levels they detect, or how much CO is actually going into your home, but replacing the section of that duct will probably cost you under $10 and take you less than 1/2 hour to do... A cheap way to reduce the potential harm of the situation.

Do, though, post a pic if you can so we can take a look - and be sure we're all on the same page.

Apr 4, 2006, 01:16 PM
    You, that's true. Well, I live in a townhouse and my dad is renting it. Our landlord also inspected the furnace two weeks ago and he said that everything is fine. I told him about the repairman who pointed out that the crack hadn't been sealed properly but he simply brushed out off and insisted that everything is fine.
    I'll try to borrow my cos' digital cam and post a pic.
    I appreciate your help rickj,thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
    I can tell you this: If the city knew there was a crack in a furnace exhaust duct, they'd probably issue a 24-hour emergency order to have it taken care of.

In my city they are quite serious about that kind of thing.

(I'm not suggesting you call the city; it makes for a bad relationship... but Definitely tell him you know that there is a health risk and to please take care of it asap. Since you've gone nearly 8 months with it like that, I'd think no risk to give the landlord a couple days before you start to get a little huffy with him.

Apr 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Thanks rickj and tkrussell
    How do I call the city? I live in canada, who exactly do I call.
    Actually, for the past year, my health has been detoriating. I've been to the doctor about 5 times and he keeps telling me that my symptoms are due to my thyroid disorder. And yet every time I do a blood test, the results come back normal (I'm on synthroid right now).
    I think I can say the same for the rest of my family as well. We all have very poor sleep, have memory problems (my memory used to be great), trouble breathing, and a host of other problems. Can this all be the result of our faulty furnace?
    Also, the repairman said that eventually water will start to drip out of the cracked pipe because it hasn't been sealed properly.
    Take care
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Water dripping out of the pipe? Hold the phone. Now it doesn't sound like an exhaust duct. Water would not be coming out of an exhaust duct.

Regardless of what it is, you should let the landlord know that it needs fixed asap... and that you don't want to ruin the relationship, but will call the city for an inspection if it is not taken care of within 2 days.

... or post a pic for us to direct you more specifically...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Your symptoms sure sounds like CO poisioning to me.

Water can be dripping out of the duct, due to condensation of moisture in the flue gases, and this water is what probably caused the corrision of the duct.

Contact your city hall, or even a local fire dept, and ask how to get in touch with the appropriate agency that handles code enforement of exhaust ducts for a furnace.

Apr 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Yikes!!
    That's pretty scary, innit? We better abandon this house immediately.
    Man, I'm so upset right now. My landlord had our natural gas appliances inspected twice over the past year, but he reported that everything was fine.
    So if you're exposed to small amounts of co for a long period, it won't kill you but it will harm your health?
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 06:51 PM
    From the EPA site:
    http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/coftsht....ing%20Symptoms

I found the following:

CO Poisoning Symptoms

Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.

And here from http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/466.html

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

* Headache
    * Fatigue
    * Shortness of breath
    * Nausea
    * Dizziness

If any of these are familiar then you need to get checked and have the duct checked.

If there is a gap that allows flue gases to leak then there is a serious problem. Any corrision will continue more quick than you think, with the water, heat, and already correded sheetmetal.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 07:16 PM
    If this is a very long vent pipe or if it was installed wrong it is very possible that the water dripping you are talking about is condensation forming in the long vent pipe. The hot air coming out of the furnace and traveling through the vent pipe is very hot as it leves the furnace and as it travels through the vent it cools and the moisture in the air begins to condense on the wall of the vent pipe and then run out the crack. It is very possibloe that the condensation is what made the crack in the first place. CO is very dangerous and can accumialte in your blood over time. Go to a medical web site and read up on it, look at the symptoms.

Apr 6, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I appreciate it
    If I get a blood test done, will it show the co levels? Can you guys tell me if any other gases are bing emitted through the crack.
    Do you guys think I can take legal action against the inspectors or my landlord and would you recommend it? Like I said, my health is getting worse, I'm having difficulty reading and writing, which I thought was associated with my thyroid disorder, and many other problems. My grades are pretty bad, even though I try to study, but most of the time I don't have the energy. I had pretty good grades in high school.
    I'll try to post my pic so you have a better idea of what's going on with my furnace
    Take care everyone
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2006, 04:26 PM
    I am not sure how CO is detected in the body, but getting checked by a doctor will be the best bet.

Then if it is determined that there is CO absorbed, next contact an attorney for the best path you should proceed to next.

Apr 7, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Thanks tkrussell and letmetellu for your feedback
    So you guys think it`s due to low levels of carbon monoxide? tkrussell, I read on of the websites you provided that the chances of detecting carbon monoxide in your blood are low? Got any idea why?
    And yeah, the symptoms apply to me and the rest of my family as well. I`m going to call my doc today. In the meantime, I`m going to convince my dad to leave the house, and call an inspector. Do you guys recommend calling the landlord to inspect the house or finding one in the yellow pages? As I said before, my landlord has done a very poor job of ensuring we`re safe.
    Take care everyone

Apr 9, 2006, 11:36 AM
    I took some pics of my furnace, but I'm unable to upload them because they're too big, about 1600x1200. Anyone know how to reduce the size?
    thanks

Apr 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
    No responses?
    Can someone please answer my last question? Thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 09:04 AM
    It's a software issue: Do you have any Photo Editing software? If not, here's one method:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15873

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

PSA Important Information: Ransomware Trojan cracked [ 2 Answers ]

This is a new attack, where by the victims files are pack in to an encrypted file and the password is only released after a "ransom" is paid. For the full piece read on: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/06/ransomeware_trojan/

Cracked cast iron bell [ 6 Answers ]

cracked cast iron bell -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the...

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search