Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baker44 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Japanese beetles
    I planted a new tree in the spring and the japanese beetles have gotten to it. The leaves are all damaged. Is there any way to save this tree? Can I totally remove the leaves and will that give it new life? Should I fertilize it?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Don't remove any leaves! The tree will come back to life next season for sure. I had one of my birch trees attacked by beetles last summer and had only a handful of leaves left on the tree. It was approx 2 years old. This year the tree came back better than ever. Would suggest keeping it watered - but don't drown it. As far as fertilizer - I didn't fertilize mine, but if you feel it's necessary to do this go to a garden nursery and ask them for a very weak tree fertilizer and use sparingly. If the beetles are all gone and your tree is still alive it should be okay. If the beetles are still attacking the tree I saw a beetle catcher on TV that I was going to buy if the beetles came back to my yard this year. Don't know the cost but it looks like it traps the beetles and probably has pheromones where the yellow strip at the top of the catch bag is that entices the beetles into the catchbag.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Jul 23, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Advice on the tree is good.

The beetle bags are great--if your neighbor has one... if YOU have one, all it does is bring more beetles to your yard. You'll want to spread milky spore onto your lawn to kill the beetles in the grub stage and then gift a beetle bag catcher to your neighbors ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beetles and grapevines [ 5 Answers ]

I had a horrible problem with japanese beatles this summer and my grapevines. I am curious if anybody knows of a company that makes insect netting in large pieces that I can make a net for my vines. Or if anybody has any ideas to deter these bugs. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Get rid of Squash Beetles [ 1 Answers ]

I had squash beetles in the garden last year and it appears they've waited for the new season. My squash and zuchinni were demolished very quickly. They seem to be growing in numbers. Is there something I can do to kill these beetles that won't hurt the earthworms and other "good" insects in...

Carpet Beetles [ 3 Answers ]

I have about a week left in my apartment but just recently discovered what I thought were worms in my bed, closet, and on the carpeting. They are very tiny and a yellowish/orange color. I have found only a handful - maybe 2 alive and the other were dead. I did a search online, and it appears these...

Click Beetles and Bio-luminesence? [ 1 Answers ]

Do Click Beetles or at least some have bio-luminesent abilities?

Beetles [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to rid beetles that are eating the leaves of my outdoor plants other than using one of those beetle bags

View more questions Search