Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I got a big cleaning job
    I will have to clean and paint the house I want to buy. So I'm getting my ducks in a row before it all starts. My wife is talking about getting all this expensive stuff to clean the place before painting. But I remember when I worked at a hardware store that contractors would come in and buy something that they would use in fire damage jobs that would strip all the grime from the walls before painting. But I can't remember what it is. Or how they did it.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Are you thinking trisodium phosphate powder? Just ask for TSP and I think you'll have it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Comet, glass cleaner, bleach mixed with water, oven cleaner, and as mentioned above, trisodium phosphate powder, as well water, real cellulose sponges, buckets to mix water and cleaning agents in, paper towels and rags should be some of the things that you might want to have on hand for a major cleaning job of just general horizontal ceiling, counter/sink surfaces and vertical surfaces such as on walls or the sides of other things.

Are the areas to be cleaned damaged by fire? You don't really clarify that in your original post.

Thanks!
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Jul 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
    No fire damage but as an example of how bad it is the house is 22 years old and still has the original carpeting in it. They were smokers and raised 4 kids in the house. I'm thinking of pulling the carpet and renting a paint sprayer and painting every wall and ceiling with Kitzs oil base primer. I did it once before on a 70 y/o house in southern Florida that was heated by kerosine heaters. I swear I could cover a dead squirrel nailed to a wall with that paint. Smelled for days but it was worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning a self cleaning oven [ 3 Answers ]

I have a self cleaning oven that is over 9 years old and I have never cleaned it. I'm afraid that if I try to clean it now that it will either smoke so much that my smoke alarm will go off or the oven might even start on fire. Am I better off just buying a new stove or should I try to clean it...

Cleaning bid [ 3 Answers ]

What is the dollar amount to bid per square foot on a small office building 1000 sq ft

Cleaning Bid [ 4 Answers ]

I need help with a commercial cleaning bid. The apartments are off campus for a large university. There are 64 apts with 4 bdrms and 4 and 1/2 baths in each unit along with kitchen, living room, and dining. They will all be cleaned within a 9 day period. Also keep in mind they were lived in by...

Cleaning up [ 3 Answers ]

My 9 year old son won't let me help him to wash him when he bathes, he was dirt stuck on his skin around his forehead, behind ears, neck and some in his arms, what can I use to make all that dirt ease and go when he washes up? It's dark brown dirt!

Cleaning... [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my husband four years now but just recently married. I was wondering if anyone struggles with cleaning the house? My husband and I have two totally different definitions of what "clean" is. When my husband cleans I can barely even tell he did anything. He tells me I'm overly...

View more questions Search