Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaas123 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Bad experience with riding
    OK I have been riding a tri-coloured mare for 3 weeks running and in that time my riding has gone down hill and I'm scared of riding her. What do I do HELP!!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:20 AM
    You already know my opinion. You must form a partnership with the horse. Horses may act scary, but inside, they're innocent and worried what you may think of them.

If it was me, I'd take her out barebacked with a hackamore (chain chinstrap) and explore the world together. We'd go for a while, then stop, for her to graze while you lie on your back and make horse noises to get her attention. Just the two of you, hanging out. A mare may be moodier if she's in heat. Tasty weeds can go a long way towards softening her up.

Jul 20, 2008, 12:31 AM
    She's not mine and I would never dream of going bareback on her she can be a very moody mare who always wants her own way for some reason I perfer geldings to mares
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2008, 06:42 PM
    OK, stupid question, but do you really have to ride this mare? There's no magic rule that says you have to be comfortable riding every horse. Also, no matter how long you've been riding, that doesn't mean you're going to be secure enough in your position, etc that you're going to partner with every horse the way you should. It appears to me, more and more, that you're just getting more and more nervous and are losing you nerve. Maybe the best bet would be to take a step back (or actually it would be a step forward), and go back to riding horses you feel more comfortable on and re-establish your foundation and get yourself to the point where you can get more out of them before you tackle the more difficult cases. It may even be time for a new riding school or new type of instructor. The ideas of "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger", and "when the going gets tough, the tough push through it" have to be applied judiciously and not to the point where you just get yourself freaked out or hurt. Talk to your instructors. A good one will understand and truly try to help you and not overface you so. Also, don't think of returning to the basics for awhile as any sort of failure, it's intelligence and strengthening your foundation and make you a much better rider in the end (even great musicians have to go back and work on scales, etc at times)
    Hope this helps, although it may not be the answer you wanted.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Geldings are generally mellower because they aren't dealing with sex hormones.

Aug 31, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Yeah it helped but I haven't got a choice of who I ride really and just a month ago I was cantering now I'm even scared of just trotting she started to nap the little ponies and I can't control her.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Tell someone who can make changes that this mare isn't helping your riding improve. Maybe you'll be ready for her next year.

With musical instruments, the best, most expensive one your parents can afford is best.

With horses, it's the one you feel comfortable with, even if it's not considered beautiful; or you can just get too scared to learn! If a bad relationship with this headstrong mare is detrimental to your lessons, what is being paid for?

You deserve to learn to ride on a horse who is good to you. Once you have more confidence in your abilities, then, a more challenging horse is something that you will want, and ask for.

Sep 1, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Thanks for the advice yeah I told my instructor and she's going to have a word with the person incharge of organising the horses so yeah :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding lawn mower to riding go-cart [ 6 Answers ]

I want to convert a riding mower, with a bad engine, to some type of riding go-cart. I'll probably put some type of small engine it it for power, but want something the kids can creep around the yard with. Any ideas? Thanks, G

Numbness when riding [ 1 Answers ]

Often when riding my bicycle for an extended period I experience numbeness in my penis. What's Reason? Seat ? What's up with this. Very unconfortable.

87-88 MTD Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

Just bought a 32" 8HP B&S MTD riding mower Model 138-322-000. The guy I bought it from said his brother had adjusted the speed somehow so their elderly father wouldn't fall off the tractor. I haven't been too successful with trying to get back the speed. I have also noticed that when you put it...

My boyfiend had a sexual experience with a male! [ 7 Answers ]

Im a female and my boyfriend recently told me he had a sexual experience with a boy when he was aged about 13.. He went to an all boys boarding school and shared a dorm with the other boy, the boy convinced him to preform sexual acts with him (they did not have intercourse however) Im having an...

My first Paranormal experience [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Well this is my story. I’m in Cornwall (UK) and there’s a haunted castle called Pengasick castle, apparently one of the most haunted in the UK. They were doing a ghost night there so I went allot with my mum and some friends, its was a good night They decided to do a calling and...

View more questions Search