Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ideation Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
    How to verify legal citizenship?
    How do I verify someone has become a legal citizen? They have been here over 30 years from Panama, but I have doubts they are legally here. How do I check?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideation
    How do I verify someone has become a legal citizen? They have been here over 30 years from Panama, but I have doubts they are legally here. How do I check?

There is no database, as such, so you can't.

If you want to notify INS and ask them to check into it because you think these people are illegals, you could do that. I don't know why you'd cause someone that type of problem but, yes, you could "report" them to INS.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Judy is correct, you could report them to the INS.

Thing is, unless they have committed some type of crime, in most cases, the INS does not want to hear from you, and will do little or nothing about your information.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideation

I just read your other post - if you are thinking of doing this in retaliation against your stepmother because you were not in your father's Will I'm sure you realize it's a very bad idea for any number of reasons.

Sometimes grief makes us do stupid things so you probably want to rethink this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:21 PM
    They say many police even leave the illegals alone because INS has so much bureaucratic red tape and they end up not even deporting illegals any way. So you would most likely only be causing family problems and resentments and not accomplishing anything.
    They said the illegals across the street from me got stopped on their way to a job and they are still across the street.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:52 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Ideation agrees: Thank you. Normally I would never think twice; but it is my Step Mother, my Father died last week and she 'forgot to call me'. That is making a long story very short.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear about your Father - these family problems are just awful. Whatever else is going on, my sympathy.

This is, of course, not the "free who cares advice board" but the best way to honor your father is to hold your head high and ignore this nonsense. Your stepmother obviously has issues, whether they are warranted or not, and she disrespects your father if this is not what he wanted.

But you know that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Actually there are suppose to be ways, at least for employers to look up citizenship

E-Verify
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Well if they have been here over 30 years then yes they are probley legal especiley if she was marreid to your father year agao aobut 15 or so and before all you use to have to do to get citizen ship was to marry a us citizen so more or less likley she is a legal citizen was there a reason she did not tell u about your father right away ?do u live out of town? Or she did not know how to get into contact with u? Wt ever it is she was married to your father for the alst 30 years of his life and she does have all legal rights to everything if there was no will left I'm relly sorry for your loss and don't mean to sound harsh in anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to verify if someone has legal citizenship? [ 14 Answers ]

My brother is dating a girl from Morocco. She currently lives in the US and my brother wants to marry her only after a short period. My family and I think she is using him in order to become a US citizen, but we do not know how to prove if she is already. She has only been in the US for one...

Legal Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

This young lady came to the United States from the Philippines eight years ago. I need to know if she is a legal citizen of the United States - if not, what do I do?

Creditor wants me to verify debt I ask them to verify [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency asking me to verify a debt? I disputed the charges on my credit report and I receive a letter asking me to verify the account because they don't have enough information to verify it themselves. I called and fax them a letter to verify the debt again. The rep told me he needs...

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

View more questions Search