Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kumar1111 Posts: 40, Reputation: 0

Jul 19, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Can you suggest me a best mileage used car?
    Hi I am considering buying a used car out of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. I am in NJ and work in NY.

My requirement
    Don't want to drive to office. Drive locally and on trip to out of state around US couple of time a month. I am looking for price range $5K - $20K & mfg 1995 - 2004, MAXIMUM MILEAGE per Gallon, & safety feature. I have a family so I am not looking forward to a high speed sports/race car. My age is in mid thirties if that matters.

I know Toyota (Corolla & Camry) are the best mileage cars but I do care for status so looking for a second best to Toyota with regard to mileage.

CAN YOU SUGGEST me a best (specific model) car out of AUDI, BMW, MERCEDES, LEXUS?

A specific mention to the following is highly appreciated.
    1. Target year of manufacturing
    2. Target price
    3. Target # of owners

Thank you
    Note: Don't take the price range seriously I may be wrong.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar1111
    Hi I am considering buying a used car out of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. I am in NJ and work in NY.

My requirement
    Don't want to drive to office. Drive locally and on trip to out of state around US couple of time a month. I am looking for price range $5K - $20K & mfg 1995 - 2004, MAXIMUM MILEAGE per Gallon, & safety feature. I have a family so I am not looking forward to a high speed sports/race car. My age is in mid thirties if that matters.

I know Toyota (Corolla & Camry) are the best mileage cars but I do care for status so looking for a second best to Toyota with regard to mileage.

CAN YOU SUGGEST me a best (specific model) car out of AUDI, BMW, MERCEDES, LEXUS?

A specific mention to the following is highly appreciated.
    1. Target year of manufacturing
    2. Target price
    3. Target # of owners

Thank you
    Note: Don't take the price range seriously I may be wrong.

I would not buy a MB unless it's dealer certified - I am not 100% sure but I do not think MB will warranty any model over a certain age. I thought it was 3 years but it could be 5 and I could be totally incorrect.

I like the MB C series, specifically the C320, in the price range you mention. My personal favorite is the 550 series. I think the smaller models (C230, C240) look like anything else on the road - if you are looking for status. My opinion is that MB lost a lot of its "prestige" (if that's the reason you are buying something in an imported/luxury line) when it started advertising the less expensive models. If, on the other hand, you like the styling and workmanship, then it's another story.

I get about 16-20 miles to the gallon but that's city driving. I have no idea what over the road mileage would be. There is a monitor on the dashboard which shows the miles per gallon as you drive.

I personally would never buy a car that was a former lease or had more than one previous owner. MB is a rather closed market (not available on every lot in town) and my advice would be to go to a dealership, explain what you want and let them tell you what they have or what is available. MB - in my area - will get a car from another dealership for you if the other dealer has what you want and they don't have it (specific color, specific options).

Also - if this is what you decide to do you have to take a look at the cost of repairs. Not everyone will work on these cars and those who do charge - and charge - and charge. They are also all electronic (even the tire pressure reads out) and anything can go wrong at any time.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
    For reliability, mileage, status, and fewest headaches, I would go with a certified Lexus. The specific model, etc. I leave to you.

Jul 19, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Thank you Judykaytee for your detailed information.

Yes I like Lexus. But can I go for a 1996 manufacturing with around 120K miles run or for that matter all the way up to 1993 with 100-150 miles considering other things are okay.

What is the miles range can we look at such kind of used cars. I have never used such used cars hence need some more clarification.

I know Lexus cars are made only in Japan and then imported to US. So how about repairs on such used cars? How easy is the repair availability? Thanks again

Jul 19, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Thank you txgreasemonkey for your suggestion as well.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 09:14 PM
    I am pro Toyota as you can see by my Avatar and my bio. If you want a higher end car with most bang for the buck, plus very decent milage there is only one choice in my book, the ES300 or the ES330. Both are glorified Camrys.
    The 3MZ-FE 3.3L is by far the best running V6 yet. So put your money where you want but if it were me the ES330 would be it!
    Any Toyota shop can service it. It is very reliable, and expect close to 30mpg on the hwy. Buying a 120K to 150K mile car is not recommended. Look for an '04 with around 60K. There's plenty out there.

BTW, I'm back from a weeks vacation and drove through NJ TPK, NYS TWY, and all that. How the heck do you do it up there? :)

Jul 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    there is only one choice in my book, the ES300 or the ES330. Both are glorified Camrys.
    )
    Hey Kitch428 Thank you. I think I am now getting closer to a decision with Lexus. But I am little confused with your answer. Why did you say ES300 and ES330 as Camrys? I thought Camrys and Lexus are different models. Does your answer mean Lexus is a brand within Camrys.

Further when I searched Automart I don't see Lexus model rather I see Camrys? Does that mean they may not have lexus or lexus is known under someother name?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar1111
    Hey Kitch428 Thank you. I think I am now getting closer to a decision with Lexus. But I am little confused with your answer. Why did you say ES300 and ES330 as Camrys? I thought Camrys and Lexus are different models. Does your answer mean Lexus is a brand within Camrys.

further when I searched Automart I don't see Lexus model rather I see Camrys? Does that mean they may not have lexus or lexus is known under someother name?

Thanks

I believe he is saying those models are "glorified Camrys" meaning they are very much like the Camry (which is a whole different manufacturer) but are, in fact, a Lexus.

No, Toyota does not build the Lexus or the other way around.

I also looked and apparently a used Lexus is less expensive than a MB - I don't know which makes holds its value better (if that's a consideration for you).
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:09 PM
    The older model ES300 was a 3.0L and the newer is a 3.3L (ES330) Both are built on the Camry platform. Just re-bodied and added bells and whistles.
    Same under the hood. Just an 'L' on the engine cover. Lexus IS Toyota like Acura is to Honda, Infinity is to Nissan etc... I hope this clears it up.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    The older model ES300 was a 3.0L and the newer is a 3.3L (ES330) Both are built on the Camry platform. Just re-bodied and added bells and whistles.
    Exact same under the hood. Just an 'L' on the engine cover. Lexus IS Toyota like Acura is to Honda, Infinity is to Nissan ect... I hope this clears it up.

I obviously had no idea - and I had a nightmare experience with Toyota, ended up suing Toyota and winning.

Well, I personally would scratch Lexus off my list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Mileage [ 4 Answers ]

What speed will give me the best gas mileage? There's got to be a formula to find out at what engine speed (tach) vs vehicle speed gives me my best MPG. Is it the exact speed at which my car shifts into the highest gear? Or a little faster? I know there's a lot of other factors, but lets just say...

Gas mileage [ 2 Answers ]

What is the gas tank capacity on a 2006 VW Beetle?

Suggest me [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... Can anyone help me how to accuratly serch my desired target from Google. Give me fine tips.

Gas mileage not so good! [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchesed a 1995 F-150, inline 300cid.w/std shift. This truck has 74,863 Original miles and has been gargae kepts,show room new,drives,and handles as if it were just off the show room floor. All records of oil changes,(every 3,000 miles),inspections,etc. It should be getting around 15-18...

View more questions Search