Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerard01 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Siblings and uncle will say get out
    My brother and sister are in my mothers will. We will inherit half the house along with my uncle, my mothers brother. My brother lives in another state. My sister is here in NY. I have been living in the house for the past 30 years along with my mom and uncle. Mom is downstairs. My uncle and me share the upstairs apt. The house is two family.

My brother has made it clear that he will move to sell the house with or without our consent. My uncle has the same intention. The result is having me evicted in the process.
    I pay towards the house, insurance, taxes, etc. What can I do to prevent these two family members from just going over my head and selling the house?
    My uncle is not on the deed, but named in the will.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
    First who is on the deed and how it is deeded makes a large difference if the uncle even has a say on the house.

But you can get a loan and buy out the other family if you want to keep the home.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
    They can't sell the house 'out from under you' if it is stipulated in the will that you all inherit a portion of it. If they want to sell they have to buy out the other portions. A signed will is the law. They have to adhere to it.

Jul 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
    My mother is on the deed

Jul 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
    I saw a judge Judy episode where 3 siblings were contesting their mothers belongings. Her wishes were that all three children would agree to sell the house, but only if all were in agreement. Two of the three took the younger siblking to court and won a judgement to sell the house equally.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
    If you wish to keep the home, upon your mother's passing, you can place the will in the hands of the probate court. The probate court will then make the decision as to sell or not. This is a very long and drawn out process and can give you 5 or more years in the house after your mother passes.

If you are named in the will, then probate court would be your best answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard01
    I saw a judge Judy episode where 3 siblings were contesting their mothers belongings. Her wishes were that all three children would agree to sell the house, but only if all were in agreement. Two of the three took the younger siblking to court and won a judgement to sell the house equally.

This goes by State, not necessarily correct in this case.

I also would like to know if you are of full age, an adult, not a minor - that could also be important.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:35 PM
    What really matters here is what does your mother want?

She can dictate in her will EXACTLY what she wants to happen with the house.

Have her indicate in the will, that if anyone wants to sell the house, they FIRST have to buy the shares from the other parties. She could even state that it is her wish that you are able to live there, and stay there, until such time as you no longer wanted to.

This way, even if the other two decide to sell, you must be paid for your share BEFORE the house is sold, and unless they have that kind of money, I think you would be safe.

Are you prepared for the family unrest that things like this can cause?

It could really get ugly, now, if she tries to make changes to the will, or later, when the brother/uncle tries to make living there so miserable, you would look forward to living somewhere else.

Jul 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
    I am 43
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard01
    I am 43

I was thinking in terms of law guardian, but, no you certainly don't need one!:D

Progunr has said it all - have your mother talk to a qualified Attorney, decide exactly how she wants things handled upon her death and go from there.

(Again - couldn't greenie and answer)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing Uncle in Pa. [ 1 Answers ]

My Uncle was beat up in a robery in Wilkes Barre, Pa. and put into a "home" I think it's Amberview Pa. 19560 this is only hearsay I have tried to locate him to no avail. His name is DONALD RAY HECK... I now live in Florida and would like to find him PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU......

Uncle is now dating g/f's mother.what to do? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm dating a girl who I care very much about and would like to ask to marry me sometime in the near future. Recently however, my uncle (my father's brother) and her mother (no relation at all) have begun seeing each other. They are both in their 50's so there will be no children or cousins...

No Good uncle trying to get with my woman! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a uncle who is married but wants to sleep with my woman and I'm about ready to snap his neck on any given day the next time I see him.He says disrepectful things that I don't like in a in-direct manner.im really pissed off.he say things to me in person in a joking manner but also meaning...

My uncle and grandfather [ 5 Answers ]

Last year in July my uncle passed away, and now I can't seem to stop thinking about what he must have been thinking. He was out on the crab boat and fell off, he didn't know how to swim and all I can think about now is what he must of saw, looking up at the boat it makes me want to cry. He was only...

My uncle & Bad chest pains. [ 4 Answers ]

My uncle was rushed into hospital this morning from work because he was having really bad chest pains. He is having tests done and I am having to wait by the phone for any news. I am really worried about him and finding it hard to concentrate. I asked my Mum what it could be and she said it...

View more questions Search