Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Thanks wondergirl. Still, I would be thrilled if someone in the field could clarify this question for me.

ordinaryguy, I am a curious person. I think about everything. If I do have a title, I would certainly like to know it! You certainly seem to be curious about my curiosity.

From previous post:
    "i won't say that anyone has asked me anything about my major since college, especially since i am an entrepreneur. my resume doesn't serve a purpose at this time in my life. still, it's a question that has been sitting in the back of my mind for years. i most certainly would not want to call myself a political theorist if i am not entitled to it. but if i am, i would like to know. i think that's perfectly reasonable."

Judy, you're probably right, but considering that drama major beat out the other student you mentioned, you never know! :) fine arts majors have more options than you might think. I applied to architecture school at the graduate level about 6 years ago, and I remember they were happy to accept portfolios from fine arts students, even those that had no architectural drawings (supplying figure drawings, paintings and so on instead). This was the case for UC Berkeley, Columbia University, Yale... great schools. There's a lot to be said for the interdisciplinary mind! Who would think that political theory and the arts could relate so beautifully? They do! :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    thanks wondergirl. still, i would be thrilled if someone in the field could clarify this question for me.

ordinaryguy, i am a curious person. i think about everything. if i do have a title, i would certainly like to know it! you certainly seem to be curious about my curiosity.

from previous post:
    "i won't say that anyone has asked me anything about my major since college, especially since i am an entrepreneur. my resume doesn't serve a purpose at this time in my life. still, it's a question that has been sitting in the back of my mind for years. i most certainly would not want to call myself a political theorist if i am not entitled to it. but if i am, i would like to know. i think that's perfectly reasonable."

judy, you're probably right, but considering that drama major beat out the other student you mentioned, you never know! :) fine arts majors have more options than you might think. i applied to architecture school at the graduate level about 6 years ago, and i remember they were happy to accept portfolios from fine arts students, even those that had no architectural drawings (supplying figure drawings, paintings and so on instead). this was the case for UC Berkeley, Columbia University, Yale...great schools. there's a lot to be said for the interdisciplinary mind! who would think that political theory and the arts could relate so beautifully? they do! :)

Maybe this thread is better suited for a discussion board - ?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 05:25 PM
    In my opinion, except for a few specific areas, a bachelor's degree does not confer a title merely by someone obtaining the degree. The person who obtains the degree must continue work in that field to obtain that title. A BA in political theory doesn't make you a political theorist, but obtaining the degree and then working as a political theorist, or continuing education in that field would make you a political theorist. I have a BA in European history but I would not call myself an historian since I don't work in that field and I didn't continue my education in that area.

I think exceptions to that would be people who are teachers or engineers (and probably a bunch of others that I can't think of right now).
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    IMHO, except for a few specific areas, a bachelor's degree does not confer a title merely by someone obtaining the degree. The person who obtains the degree must continue work in that field to obtain that title. A BA in political theory doesn't make you a political theorist, but obtaining the degree and then working as a political theorist, or continuing education in that field would make you a political theorist. I have a BA in European history but I would not call myself an historian since I don't work in that field and I didn't continue my education in that area.

I think exceptions to that would be people who are teachers or engineers (and probably a bunch of others that I can't think of right now).

Lisa brought up a good point here - I am wondering if there actually are any jobs that convey a title without some sort of licensing exam. You can be a law school graduate but you're not an attorney until you're sworn in, same with Doctors, CPAs, etc.

Teachers need to be certified.

I wonder -
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Lisa brought up a good point here - I am wondering if there actually are any jobs that convey a title without some sort of licensing exam. You can be a law school graduate but you're not an attorney until you're sworn in, same with Doctors, CPAs, etc.

Teachers need to be certified.

I wonder -
    I've already mentioned certifications in this thread and then said this on page 2:

I have a bachelor's and a master's. Once I began using them with the proper certifications, I had "titles"--teacher and counselor. Without the certifications, the degrees might have gotten me a job at a company or non-profit, at which place I would have gotten a workplace title. For instance, I am Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator plus Senior Cataloger at a public library, but neither degree gives me those titles.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 07:02 AM
    I think lisa is closer to my original assumption about these things.

What's most significant to my particular question is that there are distinct differences from one field to another. I think that if I were actively writing a book on political theory, I could call myself a political theorist. Then, once that book is in circulation, even if I'm not writing another one, I could still call myself a political theorist. It's much closer to what a philosopher would have to do in order to be called a philosopher. Obviously it's not the same as calling one's self a teacher or a lawyer.

For example, I write poetry. I've been writing for years, and I take it very seriously. I have been published in magazines, and although I haven't submitted poems for publication in quite awhile, I am working towards a collection that I hope to get published in book form one day. If I had to, I could call myself a poet and know that the title is totally applicable. I don't need to work for a company to get the title, and I don't need a license to make it active either. The same goes for the title of "artist."
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I've already mentioned certifications in this thread and then said this on page 2:

I have a bachelor's and a master's. Once I began using them with the proper certifications, I had "titles"--teacher and counselor. Without the certifications, the degrees might have gotten me a job at a company or non-profit, at which place I would have gotten a workplace title. For instance, I am Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator plus Senior Cataloger at a public library, but neither degree gives me those titles.

Yes, in reading backwards you did mention certification before Lisa did. Sorry, I didn't mean to "step on your toes" and only give credit to Lisa.

As I said - and as you quoted - you did mention it first.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    i think that if i were actively writing a book on political theory, i could call myself a political theorist. then, once that book is in circulation, even if i'm not writing another one, i could still call myself a political theorist.
    You could also call yourself a writer and a published author. You are also a poet, a poetess, and a published poet. None of those came about because of your degree, but because of your ability to write and your willingness to share your ideas with the words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another Bachelor's Degree-Change of Career [ 5 Answers ]

Can you get TWO Bachelor's degrees? If so, do you have to do your General Ed again? How does that work? I have a Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, and I work for a nonprofit, but I want to do more and become a Child Advocate or Social Worker. I assume I need to go back to school and get...

To finish the uncompleted Bachelor's course ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want someone's help in determining appropriate solution to the problem which my brother is undergoing.He registered himself for a Bachelor's course in the year 1998.He did his first year ,started to fail in some of the subjects in 2nd year and did not go to the college at all in the...

Which Degree [ 7 Answers ]

I will be graduating soon and was wondering what college degree to get that will enable you to have a job with at least 60,000 to 80,000 dollars a year. Maybe in the Technical or Engineering field? I wanted to get a Bachelors degree then a masters later on but you probably have to go 8 years if...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

Two bachelor's degrees [ 4 Answers ]

Let's say I got a degree in one field (business) and after I got that degree I decided that I wanted to get into the sciences so I applied for a bachelor's degree in science. What basis would university's usually use to determine if you get accepted? (i.e. do they use high school prerequisite...

View more questions Search