Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 19, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    It was not an attempt to make any excuse, but it demonstrates my point to some degree, that it would automatically be viewed that way.

It was not meant to lessen the wrong done by the people who purchased slaves, and slaves have been purchased by every race on our planet, throughout history.

It was simply stated to point out the fact that the white man, is not totally responsible for the slavery issue, yet they are most often the only race that gets blamed for this horrible time in History.

I guess perhaps that is why it is hardly ever addressed, since it is viewed as an "excuse", rather than as a statement of fact.

Those Blacks that sold their brethren out resided in Africa. The slaves then were shipped to America and purchased by Whites in America. Some actually came by force from battles or were detoured instead of going to Brazil. Later some Black slaves were then also owned by Native Americans, and freed Blacks. BTW there has also been White indentured slaves from European countries, as well. If the subject had been African Blacks sold out their brothers to African Whites in Africa, with an emphasis on exclusion of US history, then your statements would had been plausible.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    I would argue that .... it is decades of the left bludgeoning us with their culture and intolerance of "competing ideas and arguments". No?
    Wrong. It is the US culture of growing intolerance in general that is causing this. Left or right has little to do with that. You can see this in almost each part of US life : from politics to religion : growing intolerance all the way...

:rolleyes:
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Very good posts Bobby!! You're a good man and make a lot of sense. As is Steve. But in this instance I couldn't agree with you more.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Nope! Let's back up here. You implied, albeit sarcastically, that we are going to have some sort of utopia upon us when Obama is elected.
    I did? Um, I don't recall that. I ASKED sarcastically if an Obama win would lead to Utopia, but that's based on the well documented Messianic status conferred on the man by his supporters and himself, "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal," But I never implied any such thing sarcastically or otherwise. Some of us don't fall for all the hype surrounding His Lordship Obama, like Hudson Institute economist Irwin Stelzer who said, "Moses made the waters recede, but he had help."

I then gave a precise argument as to why using our own American history as a marker. Furthermore I said, to paraphrase myself, that although the advancement of society has occurred, albeit slowly, it is imperative that we maintain a recollection so that we don't have a repeat.
    And I said there's a reason to remember and to remain vigilant if you'll recall.

I also made clear the actions of proclaimed Christians as opposed to those following the teaching of their Faith. Now the only revealing comment you've made is about having a bludgeoning complex of sorts over being called a racist. I do believe you. It's been overly apparent in this little discussion. However it's not getting you any debate points here, because I never accused you of being a racist. I said you were a law abiding good citizen.
    I noticed that my friend, and I appreciate that.

Let's look at this another way. You would disregard six million Jews and millions more righteous Gentiles that died seventy years ago because you never witnessed the Holocaust. What a load of crap.
    I meant no offense, Bobby, but I said nothing about disregarding the Holocaust or racism, my record on these issues speaks for itself. I am saying however, there is a tremendous difference between the murder of six million Jews and a black city council member taking offense at a white mayor properly using the term "black hole." The first matters - the second is politically correct BS that distracts from things that really DO matter with regard to racism. I was speaking from my experience in regard to racism period and the point is this - if we have to tiptoe around blacks there will be no racial harmony. Come on people, let's talk about things that matter, but the more you inject racism unnecessarily the more damage you do to your cause.

Listen! I personally had nothing to do with the African-American atrocities at any point in our American history, but I sure wouldn't want it to happen to them again or any person of any color, including Whites.
    We're in complete agreement on this, Bobby.

Perhaps "Steve" there are some differences between our cultural perspectives, what our parents emphasized, and differences between our Faith's views on humanity (not to exclude anyone else respectively Agnostic, Atheist, etc... ), to acknowledge that we may never see eye to eye in our lifetime. I'm OK with that. I prefer teaching the next generation to learn from others mistakes, including my own. Like I said before, it's not just a Black and White issue. America is very diverse.
    Sure there are cultural differences with us and I don't expect people to ever see eye to eye on everything. But, we CAN get along and part of that begins by accepting that millions of Americans like myself, don't get why the races should be at odds because we grew up together. We don't get why we should be bludgeoned about racism because we're not racist and we don't see how that bludgeoning is accomplishing the desired result (or at least the stated goal).
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Wrong. It is the US culture of growing intolerance in general that is causing this. Left or right has little to do with that. You can see this in almost each part of US life : from politics to religion : growing intolerance all the way ...
    Cred, could you be more specific?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are your thoughts on political correctness? [ 32 Answers ]

Charlton Heston passed away this week, I found this speech that he gave to a Harvard graduating class a few years ago. His thoughts are pungent, do you agree with him? By: Charlton Heston Article Font Size The following is a speech NRA President Charlton Heston gave to the Harvard Law...

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Decent English vs. Political Correctness [ 6 Answers ]

Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me. If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson? I'm curious; Does...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search