Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheri99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Can an attic access door in the ceilling be sucked open?
    We have an access door to our attic in the master bedroom closet. We found the panel lifted at an angle about 2 inches. It is far to high for our children to reach, and neither my husband or I pushed on it from below. I was wondering if the air in the attic could suck the panel door up? When my husband looked in the attic, the insulation was untouched and everything seemed to be fine. It is a mystery to us why the door would be lifted.
    Can anyone help us with this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
    If the paneling is thin enough and there is a draft in the attic then it is possible
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Yes, this is quite possible to happen. If you don't want this to happen in the future would suggest that you install some sort of latching device no matter how simple to prevent the hatch from coming open. Even something as simple as a hook and eye system would work and be easily opened.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 12:46 PM
    A strong gust of wind passing your roof line can cause a slight vacuum inside your attic and suck on that lid. It is the same air flow principal that makes and airplane wing fly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove housing for light without attic access [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to replace an existing ceiling light fixture with a recessed light. To put in the recessed light housing I need to remove the existing housing. But the problem is that I do not see any screws in the housing that I can unscrew. Probably this housing is connected to a joist but I do not...

Open a URL from Access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tickler data base to remind me to visit web sites. A query returns the sites to be visited based on a frequency and "last visited" date. I can double click the hyperlink in the form to start Explorer, but I would like to do this automatically. I have a subroutine to start IE for a...

Cooler with the door open? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small computer room with to AC units designed and installed to keep the PC equipment at operational temperature. One of these units is broken. Whilst it is under repair should I: leave the door open with a fan for circulation AND swich the AC off leave the door open with a fan...

View more questions Search