Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeoAF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Cooling Upstairs
    I live in San Antonio Texas, in a house that was build back 1985. I have only one central air condition & heat pump for both upstairs and downstairs. I change the filter and get annual maintenance check up. There is a big difference between the temperature upstairs than downstairs (at least 5 to 8 degrees), this even true with ceiling fans running upstairs and downstairs. Buying and installing another air handler would be too costly and require major construction. What do you suggest or recommend on cooling the upstairs?
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Hot air rises, that has a lot to do with it. You should ask a heating professional that isn't trying to sell you something what the best idea is. Have a nice day :)
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Even though they are a pain and noisey your cheapest bet would be window a/c`s upstairs,not knowing how many rooms or the layout of your upstairs living area its hard to say how many or what size to use,if able maybe one on each end blowing toward each other would be the most efficient,, 5 to 8 degrees difference than the down stairs isn`t bad compaired to some houses
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Jul 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    even though they are a pain and noisey your cheapest bet would be window a/c`s upstairs,not knowing how many rooms or the layout of your upstairs living area its hard to say how many or what size to use,if able maybe one on each end blowing toward each other would be the most effecient,,,,,5 to 8 degrees differance than the down stairs isn`t bad compaired to some houses

First off I would run the fan continuously, restrict the returns on the first floor to make the ones on the second pull the heat into the system, and open a few supply ducts in the basement.

As stated warm air is pushed upwards by the cooler heavier air trying to get to the lowest level, by providing a constant air flow you will get an evening out of temperature.

Hope this helps
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 03:48 PM
    first off i would run the fan continuously

Not good at normal A/C motor speed. Returns too much moisture to the air with the outside unit not running.

restrict the returns on the first floor to make the ones on the second pull the heat into the system

Never restrict return air. Most systems do not have enough return air to start with.

and open a few supply ducts in the basement.

What is needed is to supply more cold air on the second floor not in the basement.

You have a typical problem. The duct was never laid out properly when the home was built. The quick and cheap fix is a window A/C unit upstairs unless you want to tear the walls out and put more duct into the upstairs area. That is not a fun job.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Where are the ceiling fans located? Are any in split level areas i.e. a stairwell or foyer?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
    If it was me I would damper down the supply registers on the lower floor a little bit at a time, to try and push moore air to the up stairs. It may not fix it but it won't hurt to try ether.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What could be the cause of : Upstairs toilet backs up into Upstairs bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

The upstairs toilet has been backing up and emptying into the upstairs bathtub. The only other toilet in this house is in the basement which is working. The house is connected to a town sewer system. What could be the cause?

Too hot upstairs [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2-story condo, 1240 sf, almost 30 yrs old, with a newer heat pump that was serviced last year. The blower is downstairs and has a return intake of 18x18. Upstairs, directly above the unit there is another 12x24 intake that has no duct, just the space between the studs. I keep the filters...

Cooling options for upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old house that always kept pretty cool during the Summer until I renovated going back and up. This has resulted in a downstairs area with more north facing windows, and therefore it heats up more. Upstairs is a nightmare – an oven. I’m comfortable with getting refrigerated Air...

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

No hot water upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my water heater replaced, and am getting hot water downstairs in the kitchen, but not in the bathroom upstairs. All I get is a very small stream of cold water coming from all the hot water taps. :confused:

View more questions Search