Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Slow-Motion Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Do I have PCOS?
    I think I may have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)!

I have never been checked for it but I seem to have a lot of the symptoms!

# infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding
    # infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating (not sure about this one)
    # increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
    # acne, oily skin, or dandruff
    # weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist
    # high blood pressure
    # skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
    # pelvic pain
    # anxiety or depression due to appearance and/or infertility
    # sleep apnea—excessive snoring and times when breathing stops while asleep

Why has my doctor not told me anything about this? I'm freaking out!

Hopefully its just in my head... and the fact that I've been on and off birth control since age 15 is why I have these symptoms...

Idk what to do... How do I find out it this is really what is wrong with me?

Maybe someone that has it could explain it to me a little more.. Let me know your symptoms and how you found out you had PCOS...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 07:45 AM
    How old are you?
    It could be a hormonal imbalance
    Have you asked your doctor to check you for PCOS or hormonal problems?

Jul 18, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    How old are you?
    It could be a hormonal imbalance
    Have you asked your doctor to check you for PCOS or hormonal problems?

I will be 21 next week...

I was put on birth control pill at age 15
    Six months later I changed to Depo, I only had two shots of it..

I stopped all birth control.. to have a period for two months (I mean I never stopped bleeding)
    I was put back on the pill for three months and stopped.. My periods were very irregular. Cycles being any were from 15 days to 95 days long...

I'm Trying to conceive and getting NO WHERE :(

I'm doing research on Vitex, and reading some of the questions on this board... I was curious what PCOS was so I searched the symptoms... I have almost every symptom listed... The only ones I don't have are insulin resistance or thinning hair...
    Just about everyone in my family has type 2 diabetes so I'm at a very high risk for it...
    Also Im 5'7" and weigh over 250lbs...

I may just be looking into things too much.. I have been Trying to conceive for almost a year now, and getting really depressed from constantly seeing negative HPT's :(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Your best bet is to go get checked specifically for PCOS, hormonal imbalances and diabetes
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
    It sure sounds like PCOS to me. And if you're obese then you most likely are insulin resistant. Try a low-carb diet like Atkins or South Beach.

First check out SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources for tons of info about PCOS. Then make an appointment with an endocrinologist.
    aliciag940 Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Jul 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
    [QUOTE=Slow-Motion]How do I find out it this is really what is wrong with me? QUOTE]

The only answer is to go to an OB/GYN and get checked specifically for this condition.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
    It may or may not be PCOS, there are thyroid disorders that can cause these same symptoms. Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

Jul 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Well the skin tags aren't horrible...
    My sugar has never been over 60 (no matter what I ate) I checked my sugar yesterday and it was 106... I know that's not high but it is for me...

Next thing... I'm fat... :eek: I'm 5'7" weighed myself this afternoon and I'm 258lbs

My periods used to be fine... until birth control...

In a way I think I may or may not have a problem... (PCOS, thyroid disorders, etc... ) Or if its just all in my head..

I think I want something to be wrong with me so that its an easy fix... yet then again not an easy fix :(

I confuses myself :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can being on the Depo cause PCOS? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I am hopeing to get some help. I had a baby in Dec 06 and breastfed her for 6 weeks, after that my periods returned back to normal and I got the Depo Shot in July and was due for another shot in late October. I had a very heavy period in October and never went back for my shot. My...

Metformin and pcos [ 4 Answers ]

Its been awhile since I've been on, Never the less I have more questions, I have read up on women taking metformin for pcos, but now its my turn, and I don't really know what to expect... I had a large ovarian cyst rupture and got to spend the day in the hospital. Now my doctors have decided to...

Pcos [ 6 Answers ]

I had a blood test for poly cystic ovary syndrome a couple of years ago and it came back negative. Now I've got a really bad and embarrassing problem with hair growing on my chin and stuff and I'm only 19 is it possible that I could have developed pcos since the last time I was tested?

I have pcos [ 2 Answers ]

I Have PCOS Can I still get pregnant?and if I can't what is the cheapist fertility drug and can my obgyn give me a prescription for firtility drugs?

View more questions Search