Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It is a double standard simply because each side is using the same tactics and pointing fingers. So over all it is double standard on each sides part.
    Ok, here's the definition:
    Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a caution against the use of inflammatory rhetoric or exaggerated comparisons, and is often conflated with fallacious arguments of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

The rule does not state whether any reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the probability of such a reference increases over time. It is precisely because such a comparison may sometimes be appropriate that Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

In one of its early forms, Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions.[5] The law is now applied to any threaded online discussion, including electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, blog comment threads, and wiki talk pages.
    Where is the double-standard?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Okay with that it is not referring to Dem or Rep but in the context where you posted it sounded like you were singling out Rep
    Niklowe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 07:15 AM
    This worth a read from the UK press. A bit old but still relevant. Nigel Lawson was Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The REAL inconvenient truth: Zealotry over global warming could damage our Earth far more than climate change | Mail Online
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Zealotry over *anything* is bad! This is no different. What's required is a metered thoughtful approach.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Niklowe
    This worth a read from the UK press. A bit old but still relevant. Nigel Lawson was Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The REAL inconvenient truth: Zealotry over global warming could damage our Earth far more than climate change | Mail Online
    Glad to see somebody else that gets it... and that is just the tip of the iceberg:D

I heard the UK isn't falling for the global warming lie so easily.

I say it is a money making scheme that they are eventually going to use to start taxing and charging us for. They already said that cars are going to start having to have a CO2 sticker along with the emissions and any state inspections stickers. Then they are starting to charge for permits to barb que in your own backyard and they will find more much more.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:39 AM
    And the leftists in the US complain about the war against drugs filling-up the prisons; where they going to put all the offenders?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
    They will just take all the offenders carbon credits away from them.
    In my state the drug dealers are home with the 'ankle bracelet' while the dead beat dads are doing time for non payment of child support.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I heard the UK isn't falling for the global warming lie so easily.

I say it is a money making scheme that they are eventually going to use to start taxing and charging us for. They already said that cars are going to start having to have a CO2 sticker along with the emissions and any state inspections stickers. Then they are starting to charge for permits to barb que in your own backyard and they will find more much more.
    Agreed!

Let us not forget to charge extra tax on beans and bean-eaters because they produce an abundance of gas. Then we should target all the cows and pigs too. It may sound silly, but someone will come up with this idea, I'm sure.

I'm not saying that the world should not work on being a little cleaner - but that takes cooperation and not placing fault. And we could prepare for evolutionary change, but not by putting money in the pockets of those who don't give a darn.

Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
    For sure that IS what they ARE headed for.
    They are already trying to pass laws that if you are overweight you are not going to be allowed to eat at restaurants. I have been wondering how they are going to determine overweight. Like if you are 168 lbs and same height and same build as your best friend but they happen to be 173 or you going to be allowed to go to restaurants but not your friend?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
    I think this one has run out of steam, I'm going to cancel my subscription for now, but before I go, no offense George_1950, but I think I noticed a spelling error in the title to your post?

Shouldn't it have read:

Al Gore-the high priest of environmentalism-just a "poop" scientist!
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    I think this one has run out of steam, I'm going to cancel my subscription for now, but before I go, no offense George_1950, but I think I noticed a spelling error in the title to your post?

Shouldn't it have read:

Al Gore-the high priest of environmentalism-just a "poop" scientist!
    You made a 'poop' joke. Now we know what kind of mind we are dealing with.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You made a 'poop' joke. Now we know what kind of mind we are dealing with.
    If previous posts are any indication of what kind of a mind we are dealing with,
    Your's don't speak very well of your mind either.

Besides, poop and Al Gore, just belong together, it is such a natural pairing I couldn't let the opportunity pass without mention, that's all.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what you or any of the other left leaning folks think about me, or my mind.

If that was a lame attempt at an insult... you missed.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Another inconvenient fact: "Anchorage could hit 65 degrees for fewest days on record... The coldest summer ever? You might be looking at it, weather folks say."
    Gloomy summer headed toward infamy: Life | adn.com
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:21 AM
    I know Pittburgh Pa is the coldest dampest summer I have ever seen in 53 yrs!
    I have been begging global warming believers for the past couple years to PLEASE send me the global warming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO [ 11 Answers ]

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO - America Talks Back, News It has been reported that former Vice President Al Gore stands to make approximately $50 million when the TV channel he founded, Current TV, goes public. The channel is very popular among tech-savvy 18-34 year olds, and it...

Al gore and pres. Bush [ 4 Answers ]

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses How do you account for this discrepancy?

Environmentalism vs. Safety [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I recently heard about a report (I have not seen the actual report yet) which claimed the following: As environmental concerns come to the forefront of people's minds, people are choosing to drive smaller cars because those smaller cars are more gas-efficient and...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

View more questions Search