Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    And if you take the unfair usage of energy in the world into account, there is nothing to say against more sharing of all remaining resources on a fair scale.
    ;)
    Huh?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 22, 2008, 07:01 PM
    No wonder if you relate the US wasting to the situation in Europe, where we have been following a limiting campaign for energy consumption and pollution already since the late 1970's (Club of Rome report).

Better stop the "we're better than Kyoto....nah nah nah" US chest beating, and return to reality .....

:rolleyes:

Tell that to the environmentalists that are against nuclear power.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Huh?
    Yes George !
    The average US American consumes pro rata 2 x more energy than the average European who lives a similar lifestyle.

Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Who do you propose to serve as umpire?
    -

Jul 23, 2008, 01:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Who do you propose to serve as umpire?
    All I stated (on your request in search for enlightenment) is that the average US American consumes pro rata 2 x more energy than the average European who lives a similar lifestyle. No need for some umpire : that is a fact !

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Yeah ;and they let their grandmothers die in sweaty apartments in Paris while they drive to the Sea on vacation.
    USATODAY.com - France heat wave death toll set at 14,802

Pro rata per population that would be as if 75,000 Americans died in the summer from the heat.
    -

Jul 23, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    pro rata per population that would be as if 75,000 Americans died in the summer from the heat.
    Air conditioning is hardly ever required in Paris. You refer to once-only extreme hot conditions. Normally a fan and an open window suffices. So you are drawing incorrect conclusions, specially with the comparison to American deaths.
    But that is not unusual for you to do...

In countries like France, Belgium, Holland, and Denmark, there are many waterways and dikes/levies. Based on your "logic" and referring to New Orleans we should have millions of people drowning here year after year. But they don't...

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 04:10 AM
    Really ? How many Cat. 5 storms hit the dykes of Holland ? I don't even think the flood of 1953 approached that strength.

By the way back then of course 1,835 people were killed in the Netherlands ,307 were killed in the United Kingdom ,and 28 were killed in Belgium. Another 200+ were killed in boats etc.The Schielandse Hoge Zeedijk dyke was almost breached and had that happened 3 million people would've been affected .

During Katrina where levies were breached 1,836 people lost their lives . But that was a cat. 5 hurricane . North Sea Storms although violent ,do not reach that intensity .
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 23, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Comments like these are not relating to the topic, and are basically dishonorable and aggressive personal attacks on Gore.

As I stated already several times before : all that is relevant here is that Al Gore was the one bringing the global warming problem to the people : he was instrumental to the awareness people in the US have now of the pollution problem, the CO2 problem, and the resulting global warming and it's consequences ! That is relevant !!! All the rest I see in this topic is neurotic steer produce !

And if those that control him would not have wanted him to distract the people from other things, he would not even have gotten the chance to make this idea public.
    It was time to get people's attention off other crucial subjects that frustrated them (they needed placating) and he was the one that was told to do it. PERIOD.
    The politicians, worldwide, want us to believe that we are to blame for the climactic changes, but guess what, evolution did not stop in the year 2000 and it never will, no matter who wants to blame it on 'the people' just for more monetary gains to companies supposedly coming up with ideas to correct what we did wrong. It was also election time throughout and those that contribute all those Euros and Dollars are industrial companies - and they don't give a darn if this planet is still here 25 years from now - they want their contracts, that all. Now, that's the real cow dung! I enjoyed puppet shows as a child, but as an adult, I demand to be able to think for myself, thank you.

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    It was also election time throughout and those that contribute all those Euros and Dollars are industrial companies - and they don't give a darn if this planet is still here 25 years from now - they want their contracts, that all.
    Yup that's a large part of the problem indeed.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Precisely excon ! It is not the messenger : it is the message that is important.
    Whatever your views on global warming etc. , it does not hurt to reduce pollution of atmosphere and oceans other than may be in the pocket.
    And if you take the unfair usage of energy in the world into account, there is nothing to say against more sharing of all remaining resources on a fair scale.

;)
    So you would have no problem with preachers that cheat on their wife while they are preaching to the church that they will go to hell if they cheat?
    I can't believe Credo that you of all people accept the hypocrisy when it seems you preach your hatred of hypocrisy. I don't see how you can separate the message from the messenger.

If you tell everybody that they are killing all the fish in the water and they are to not dump their poisons in the water and then you keep dumping three times more poisons in the water than any of the others ever did HOW can you be taken seriously by anybody?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    So you would have no problem with preachers that cheat on their wife while they are preaching to the church that they will go to hell if they cheat?
    Well while were on that subject - what *did* happen to all those pedophile priests? Did you campaign to have them prosecuted to the full extent of the law?
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
    I say/said they should be
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Well while were on that subject - what *did* happen to all those pedophile priests? Did you campaign to have them prosecuted to the full extent of the law?
    Unfortunately some people are protected still, no matter how many lives they've ruined on earth. They have more rights than their victims.

So, we go figure... again and again, and again.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Chery
    Exactly it!
    -

Jul 23, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    During Katrina where levies were breached 1,836 people lost their lives . But that was a cat. 5 hurricane . North Sea Storms although violent ,do not reach that intensity .
    Simply NOT TRUE!! The real cause of the New Orleans disaster was NOT Katrina, but long time mismanagement and lack of maintenance of the levies.

Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 24, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Simply NOT TRUE !!! The real cause of the New Orleans disaster was NOT Katrina, but long time mismanagement and lack of maintenance of the levies.

I know this is way beyond the title of this thread, but circumstances here just got 'my dander' up.

OK, I'm getting on my soap-box now, and this is only my opinion, but I believe that I am an average human being with the intelligence to figure out some things on my own without the assistance of your arrogance.
    I wish you would use some of your energy and direct it toward those profiteers and war-mongers who are using Africa as a proving ground for years with conventional and biological weapons.

I don't think you give a darn about the people who's lives were lost in New Orleans or the lives lost in Europe through the mud-slides, or in the Tsunamis in past years. You just want to be 'right' all the time.

Yes, there is mismanagement going on all over - where the profiteers think only of themselves.
    Those that allow people to build nearer to rivers than what normally the law would allow because there was a lot of money to gain. We don't control the river-flow, but love to control the money-flow.

We don't control the storms and know they are getting worse, but we love to control the money-flow here again in that these profiteers could actually plan ahead and foresee what property will be at high risk. Hey, that makes it easier than asking the population you no longer want in the area to sell their property and move (that would cost more), so you wait for a storm and calculate the damages because you have plans for that geographical area.

Profiteers work from one end of the world to the other - be it an Island or a Continent - and the losses are calculated as 'collateral damage'.

But, you, make it sound as if it is exclusively an American trait... and this is where I think you are overdoing it.

The Chinese flooded an entire geographical area without thinking of what the 'people' wanted and calculated the damages. And if it were not for the Americans, Europe would be speaking chinese sooner than planned - and I think it will actually happen, because I believe that this is a long-term plan and has been for years. Ah, the beauty of capitalism from that area... it's just sneaking up starting with industrial espionage, taking over banks, sending their students to European schools and before you know it.. (just start learning the language so that you get a headstart).

Let us not forget the EU, South America, Mexico, Korea, etc. Oh, and Venice will probably wind up the modern-day Atlantis and we can watch it happen.

Hey, if you're lucky there might be some money in it for you currupt politicians and profiteers of the world. You know who you are, and probably look down on us average 'people' because we don't count in your scheme of things to come. Just because I can't fight you, does not mean that I am unaware or dumb.

Again, evolution will take place whether we want it or not.. Unfortunately corruption and profiteering will take place too and some are trying to correct this but it will not happen overnight and certainly not without fear of being assassinated by those that don't like interfering in their plans.

I am also sure that the people in Canada and the United States are aware of internal issues and are seeking ways and means to correct them - without needing your constant berating. We do that all very well on our own, thank you. Instead of berating, we start learning more and educating the leaders of our future (our children) as best as we can without inbreeding hate wherever possible.

Do you have children, and what do you teach them??

Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    I know this is way beyond the title of this thread, but circumstances here just got 'my dander' up.

Do you have children, and what do you teach them????

Trust, but verify.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 09:21 AM
    All I stated (on your request in search for enlightenment) is that the average US American consumes pro rata 2 x more energy than the average European who lives a similar lifestyle. No need for some umpire : that is a fact !:
    A fact which means what? How is it unfair that Americans consume more energy than others? Per Capita consumption according to this Wiki, Americans use 7794.8 kgoe/y. Let's look at the other leaders:

Qatar: 21395.8
    United Arab Emirates: 10538.7
    Bahrain: 10250.5
    Luxembourg: 9408.8
    Netherlands Antilles: 9198.5
    Kuwait: 9076
    Trinidad and Tobago: 8555.1
    Canada: 8300.7

Let's hear it for Qatar, they use nearly 3 times the energy per capita than Americans. Three other Middle Eastern countries, Luxembourg, a Dutch territory and our good neighbors to the north all use more energy than Americans. Let's direct the complaints toward the real energy hogs like Qatar, Luxembourg, Canada and The Goracle shall we?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 09:29 AM
    WOW!

I am SHOCKED at those numbers!

Canada has a land area of aprox. 9,093,507 sq. miles.

The United States has a land area of aprox. 9,161,923 sq. miles.

That is VERY close in the total area of land per country.

However:

Population of Canada July 2007 aprox. 33,390,141

Population of United States July 2007 aprox. 301,139,947

I would say those numbers show that the United States is pretty darn good, at conserving energy, wouldn't you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO [ 11 Answers ]

Al Gore Set To Rake In Millions Off An IPO - America Talks Back, News It has been reported that former Vice President Al Gore stands to make approximately $50 million when the TV channel he founded, Current TV, goes public. The channel is very popular among tech-savvy 18-34 year olds, and it...

Al gore and pres. Bush [ 4 Answers ]

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses How do you account for this discrepancy?

Environmentalism vs. Safety [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I recently heard about a report (I have not seen the actual report yet) which claimed the following: As environmental concerns come to the forefront of people's minds, people are choosing to drive smaller cars because those smaller cars are more gas-efficient and...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

View more questions Search