Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 08:52 PM
    What is First Year Choice
    Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thank you for your assistance.

Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty?

BTW, what's meaning of first year choice?

I appreciate your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 09:34 PM
    BBJ:

First Year Choice is the name of a program which allows dual-status aliens and aliens converting from F-1 to H01 or H-1B status to file as a resident alien if they wait long enough to qualify for the Substantial Presence Test. They have to be in country for motn of December in 2005 and qualify by being on H-1B status for over 183 days.

As long as she told her employer about her status and the length of time she was in the country, she is not responsible if her employer fails to withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes. The IRS considers the employer responsible for paying employment taxes and withholding the employee's share from the paycheck. Your wife has no forms to file to pay for the Social Security and Medicare taxes not withheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-OPT-H1B using first year choice [ 18 Answers ]

Great site for all of us.. thanks a lot My case:- Came to US in 2002 on F1, got my opt in feb 2005, and h1 in oct 2005, married and my wife ( was on F2, now on h4) doesn't work. Last year I filed 1040nr and 8843. I tried using 1040NR as my previous year but ended up getting very little...

First year choice for whom came to USA from China with h1-b at oct 31,2005 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi experts: This is really a good place with so many great experts.I need your help. My condition is below: 1.I arrived USA from China with h1-b at oct 31,2005.before oct 31,2005 I lived in China all the time. 2.my wife arrived USA from China with h4 at apr 20,2006.before apr 20,2006 my...

First Year Choice: 31 Days in 2005? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atalanta Expert: I am planning to make 2006 as first year choice of resident alien. However, I called IRS they told me to files as resident alien; I need 31 days in 2005. I convert from F-1 to H1B on December 31, 2005. I already filed for extension in 2006 thinking that by June 2006, I will...

First Year Choice statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, In my earlier posting, you had advised that I wait till about June 2006 and then file as a resident using the First Year Choice( FYI- I changed to H1 status from F1 in Oct 2005) . How many days do I have to be in the US in 2006 to meet the substantial presence test? And...

First Year Choice & Resident / NR [ 6 Answers ]

I stayed in US in 2003 , 2004 and in 2005 and as per substantial presence it is total of 160.5 days (which is less than 183days). 1. I filled 1040NR for 2003 without using First Year Choice and became resident in 2004 mid. Is it possible to amend my 2003 return by using first year choice and...

View more questions Search