Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhadsen Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2008, 03:58 AM
    De Maria,
    To attempt to find scriptural support for purgatory you have appealed to Luke 16:24, 1 Peter 3:19, and 1 Corinthians 3:15. I checked out each verse carefully. Here is what I found:

Regarding the use of Luke 16:24, it seems that the fathers are in agreement that the rich man went to hell, not purgatory. Secondly, purgatory is supposedly a temporary state, yet Luke 16:26 indicates that the situation that the rich man finds himself in is permanent. In addition to that, as I understand it, the church teaches that only that those who die in God's grace and friendship go to Purgatory. From the text it does not appear that such was the case for the rich man. Lastly, the pope himself declared that rich man went to hell.

I don't believe that 1 Peter 3:19 is speaking about purgatory. Those that Christ preached to in the prison mentioned in that text were not human. The word translated “spirit” in that text refers to non human spirit beings unless modified in some way. (See also Matthew 12:45; Acts 23:8,9; Luke 10:20; Ephesians 2:2; Hebrews 1:14.) As far as I've been able to determine, the church teaches that humans end up in purgatory, not non human spirit beings. If Christ had gone to purgatory, what would be his purpose?

The use of 1 Corinthians 3:15 is popular among Catholics to support the notion of purgatory, but read carefully and in context, I don't believe that it does so. For instance, if Paul is speaking about purgatory in that text, what is the reward mentioned in v.14 of the 3rd chapter of 1 Corinthians?

Rob
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Good points

The rich man went to Hell not purgatory

If Christ had gone to purgatory, what would be his purpose?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Because then Jesus died for no reason. The Bible says that God casts our sins away as far as the East is to the West. Do you really believe that we walk around for years carrying our sins until Purgatory? Jesus said cast our burdens on him not walk around with them. We do not pay for our sins
    Yes we do.

Lets look at how David for a second.

2 Kings 12 14 Nevertheless, because thou hast given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, for this thing, the child that is born to thee, shall surely die.

Why did Nathan say this to David? Had David repented of his sin? Had David been forgiven by God? Yet David paid for his sin by the death of his son:

13 And David said to Nathan: I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said to David: The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shalt not die.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:48 AM
    13 And David said to Nathan: I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said to David: The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shalt not die.

The Lord HATH taken away thy sin... therefore it means David did not have to wait for some purgatory
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Jul 25, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Hey Nohelp4u, good to know that there are other true believers out there. Keep being led by the desires of the Spirit, not the flesh, that is, the feelings and emotions that God wants us to enjoy, namely, the fruit of the Spirit, love, joy, peace etc. Not by the fruit or desires of the flesh, i.e.. Self indulgence, hate, greed, sexual lust, coveting etc.
    The Holy Spirit is teaching me about this over the last couple of weeks. I never thought of it that way before, recognize the feeling and determine if it is from God or the enemy.
    Today, I was facing a certain situation, and I felt fear about it. God made me aware of the emotion and I realized that this is not a God emotion. I commanded the fear to go immediately and it did. I chose to feel one of God's emotions, to be strong and of good courage and of course, joy, and not only did I get victory over the feeling, but I was blessed in the situation also. God is so good!
    God put it in my heart a few weeks ago to discover His nature, the nature of Christ being formed in us. I Nehemiah 9:17, the last half of the verse, it says, " You are a God of forgiveness, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in loving kindness."
    That's the nature and the feelings that I want, how about you?

Hebrews 1:3 (New American Standard Bible)

3And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

(Nohelp4u- I added this reply for the content, I know you understand. Peace.)
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
    God has been showing me that being free in your spirit is not about a bunch of man made do and don'ts but of course you have to back everything up with what God has to say.
    Too many people are caught up in their religious formulas and set God and the leading of the Holy Spirit aside to the point they are blind to what 'set your spirit free' really means.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 11:44 AM
    [QUOTE=De Maria]
    It appears that rhadsen has done a good job at addressing some of your mis-understandings, so I do not need to repe4at that which he has already addressed.

I never said 1 John 1:9 is in error.
    Good because if it is not in error, then you must accept that jesus paid the price for ALL inquity and takes away ALL inquity from all who are saved. That being the case, we cannot pay the price for any sin if we are saved, since it has already been paid.

But you've ignored all my question concerning the verses where St. Peter and St. Paul both explain that we pay not only for our own sins but for each others.
    You have not shown me any verses that say that they paid the price for their sins or others.. Only that they suffered for the sake of the gospel. That is much different.

Did anyone say that we cleanse ourselves from our sin in Purgatory? Who?
    Trying to backtrack? So if you are now saying that we do not pay the rpcie for sin in purgatory, then what is your claim for the purpose of purgatory?

And it is Scripture which says that one who suffered in the flesh has ceased with sin and that St. Paul rejoices in his suffering for us. So please address those questions which I asked. How can we cease with sin by suffering in the flesh? And how can St. Paul rejoice in his suffering for us? Not only that but filling in his flesh that which is WANTING in the suffering of Christ?
    Read the context - He is referring clearly to suffering for the sake of promoting the truth of scripture. If you can find any verse which says that he is paying the rpice for his or anyone else's sin, please post that verse.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
    I already responded to this message but I missed this comment:

.... Do you really believe that we walk around for years carrying our sins until Purgatory? ....
    No, if you have made satisfaction for your sins.

Yes if you haven't.

Along with Purgatory is the accompanying doctrine of the Purgative Way.

In other words, whatever we sin we haven't repented and satisfied in this life, will be cleansed in the next in Purgatory.

Simple example:

Your son has broken the neighbors window. He repents and says he is sorry. Is the neighbor satisfied? Probably not.

But your son doesn't have the money to pay for the window to be fixed. What to do? You, the parent pay for the window and your son pays you back out of his allowance.

Even if you don't demand your son pay you back for the window, the neighbor is paid and the debt satisfied.

This example also explains indulgences. You have paid and made satisfaction for the your son's sin.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Jesus paid for our sins and God knows or heart and it is up to God to forgive us.
    Judgment day is about are works being tested not our salvation.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
    I'm glad TJ mentioned you in his(?) next post. I missed your message the first time around. Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by rhadsen
    De Maria,
    To attempt to find scriptural support for purgatory you have appealed to Luke 16:24, 1 Peter 3:19, and 1 Corinthians 3:15. I checked out each verse carefully. Here is what I found:

Regarding the use of Luke 16:24, it seems that the fathers are in agreement that the rich man went to hell, not purgatory.
    I don't think you've read all the Fathers. I'm pretty sure some of them must think it was Purgatory, because a man a bit more Catholic than I, Pope Benedict XVI says it is Purgatory in Spe Salve:

45. This early Jewish idea of an intermediate state includes the view that these souls are not simply in a sort of temporary custody but, as the parable of the rich man illustrates, are already being punished or are experiencing a provisional form of bliss. There is also the idea that this state can involve purification and healing which mature the soul for communion with God. The early Church took up these concepts, and in the Western Church they gradually developed into the doctrine of Purgatory.
    "Spe Salvi" - Encyclical Letter of His Holiness Benedict XVI on Christian Hope

Considering that this man was also the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith before he was Pope. I think he knows a bit more about Catholic Doctrine than either you or I.

Secondly, purgatory is supposedly a temporary state, yet Luke 16:26 indicates that the situation that the rich man finds himself in is permanent.
    Where?

In addition to that, as I understand it, the church teaches that only that those who die in God’s grace and friendship go to Purgatory. From the text it does not appear that such was the case for the rich man.
    On the contrary, in the text, Dives calls St. Abraham, "Father" and Father Abraham calls him "Son" in return. Therefore this person died in an imperfect state of grace.

Lastly, the pope himself declared that rich man went to hell.
    See Spe Salve above.

I don’t believe that 1 Peter 3:19 is speaking about purgatory. Those that Christ preached to in the prison mentioned in that text were not human.
    You should have taken the time to read one more verse:

19 In which also coming he preached to those spirits that were in prison: 20 Which had been some time incredulous, when they waited for the patience of God in the days of Noe, when the ark was a building: wherein a few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water.

The word translated “spirit” in that text refers to non human spirit beings unless modified in some way.
    The fact is that the word "spirit" is frequently interchanged with the word "soul" in the Bible.

(See also Matthew 12:45; Acts 23:8,9; Luke 10:20; Ephesians 2:2; Hebrews 1:14.)
    Better idea. Why don't you quote them and explain your interpretation. Then I can see more easily what you are thinking. Otherwise you force me to make assumptions and that iis not helpful to a good discussion.

As far as I’ve been able to determine, the church teaches that humans end up in purgatory, not non human spirit beings. If Christ had gone to purgatory, what would be his purpose?
    To preach to His children who will soon be joining Him in Heaven.

The use of 1 Corinthians 3:15 is popular among Catholics to support the notion of purgatory, but read carefully and in context, I don’t believe that it does so. For instance, if Paul is speaking about purgatory in that text, what is the reward mentioned in v.14 of the 3rd chapter of 1 Corinthians?
    The reward is always heaven.

Rob
    Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    It appears that rhadsen has done a good job at addressing some of your mis-understandings,
    He asked some good hard questions. Thanks for pointing it out.

so I do not need to repe4at that which he has already addressed.
    I appreciate that. I don't mind repeating myself. But it does get tedious.

Good because if it is not in error, then you must accept that jesus paid the price for ALL inquity and takes away ALL inquity from all who are saved. That being the case, we cannot pay the price for any sin if we are saved, since it has already been paid.
    The only way you can make that understanding out of this verse is to take it out of Scripture all together.

However, we are taught that the entire Scriptures were inspired by the same Holy Spirit. Therefore, if the Holy Spirit says in one verse that we must make satisfaction for our sins. We can't disregard that verse.

Again, if we see that David had to pay for the temporal effects of his sin by the death of his child even though God had already forgiven him. Then we must make satisfaction for effects of our sins even though God has already forgiven us. God doesn't change.

You have not shown me any verses that say that they paid the price for their sins or others.. Only that they suffered for the sake of the gospel. That is much different.
    What you should do is answer the questions I asked you. They hold the key to your understanding this topic.

If St. Paul isn't talking about suffering for our sin, then why is he suffering and making up for the suffering which he says is WANTING in the suffering of Christ. Didn't Christ suffer and die for our sins? So, please quit ignoring the questions any longer.

Why do we cease from sin when we suffer in the flesh? Answer the questions.

Trying to backtrack? So if you are now saying that we do not pay the rpcie for sin in purgatory, then what is your claim for the purpose of purgatory?
    Backtrack? Your ignorance of Catholic doctrine is what is preventing your understanding of what I am saying.

Answer the question. Who said that "we" cleansed "ourselves" in Purgatory? Who?

Purgatory is the direct application of the Blood of Christ:
    Ephesians 2 13 But now in Christ Jesus, you, who some time were afar off, are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Read the context - He is referring clearly to suffering for the sake of promoting the truth of scripture. If you can find any verse which says that he is paying the rpice for his or anyone else's sin, please post that verse.
    Neither of them is talking abouit suffering for promoting the Gospel. Read the context yourself. [/quote]

St. Peter says "suffer in flesh, cease with sin." Therefore suffeirng in the flesh eliminates sin.

And St. Paul is says he is adding to the suffering "WANTING" in the suffering of Christ. Did Christ suffer for our sins or not? Then St. Paul says he is suffering for our sins also.

But lets go back to the Master:
    Matthew 16 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Christ took up the Cross for our sins. Whose sins do we take up with our cross?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Jesus paid for our sins and God knows or heart and it is up to God to forgive us.
    So we play no part? Then why does Scripture say:

Matthew 16 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Judgment day is about are works being tested not our salvation.
    You have explained purgatory. All in Purgatory have built on the foundation of Christ:

1 Corinthians 3 11 For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid; which is Christ Jesus.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
    What Bible verse says we must make satisfaction other than to repent?

If St. Paul isn't talking about suffering for our sin, then why is he suffering and making up for the suffering which he says is WANTING in the suffering of Christ.
    Yes we can suffer for our sins HERE on earth but does that say we suffer for our sins after death in some purgatory? I really do not see it!

Ephesians 2 13 But now in Christ Jesus, you, who some time were afar off, are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Just as you claim that hath seems to mean afterlife when the context is the here and now you seem to be doing the same thing with this verse.
    They are both already here for the believer not something that happens in purgatory.

Christ took up the Cross for our sins. Whose sins do we take up with our cross?
    Agreed so why do you insist it is something that purgatory has to take care of??
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    So we play no part? Then why does Scripture say:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    That is like separating the gift from the giver.
    What is your point
    Sounds totally taken out of context

Jesus gave us the opportunity to come after him and follow him
    It is up to us to follow so how does that prove purgatory?
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 04:55 PM
    That is like separating the gift from the giver.
    What is your point
    sounds totally taken out of context

Jesus gave us the opportunity to come after him and follow him
    it is up to us to follow so how does that prove purgatory?
    At this point we have moved from Purgatory to paying the satisfaction for our sins. Jesus didn't just say follow Him. He said, "TAKE UP YOUR CROSS and follow me."

Scripture Itself tells you what that means:

Galatians 5 24 And they that are Christ's, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences.

1 Peter 4 1 Christ therefore having suffered in the flesh, be you also armed with the same thought: for he that hath suffered in the flesh, hath ceased from sins:

1 Peter 2 21 For unto this are you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example that you should follow his steps.

What example did Jesus give that we should follow? He suffered and died for our sins. Therefore, take up your cross and suffer for your sins and for your fellow man:

John 15 13 Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Oh so you switched up the conversation from purgatory. I thought you were trying to use that verse to back up purgatory
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Oh so you switched up the conversation from purgatory.
    Not completely.

I thought you were trying to use that verse to back up purgatory
    Yes, it does back up Purgatory.

In Purgatory, we pay for the effects of our sins which we haven't paid for in this life.

Lets get back to the example of David's sin. God forgave him and erased his sin. But the effects of his sin remained. Specifically, because David gave occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme (2 Kings 12 26), David's son had to die.

If David's son had not died in payment for David's sin, and if David had not made reparation in another manner before his death. David himself would have paid for this sin in Purgatory.

So first we have to establish that there is a doctrine of suffering for expiation of sin in this life. Then we can prove that for those who love God but die in an imperfect state of grace, there is also expiation of sin in the next.

You follow?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:55 PM
    what Bible verse says we must make satisfaction other than to repent?
    Let us see if you are truly not a believer of Sola Scriptura. I have already provided the verse of David and the death of his first son by Bathsheba. That is Scripture. But we also have everyday life to teach us that one must make satisfaction for one's sins. Is man more just than God? Let us recall then the story of the child who breaks the window. Would you consider the child sincere if he merely asked to be forgiven but did not offer to pay for the damage he had done?

Yes we can suffer for our sins HERE on earth but does that say we suffer for our sins after death in some purgatory? I really do not see it!
    That's OK. But you are miles ahead of any other nonCatholic with which I've spoken on this topic.

So tell me, what is keeping us from suffering for our sins after death? Is God not merciful enough to cleanse us Himself before we enter heaven. After all, nothing impure will enter therein (Rev 21:27) and how many people die in a state of perfect purity?

Just as you claim that hath seems to mean afterlife when the context is the here and now you seem to be doing the same thing with this verse. They are both already here for the believer not something that happens in purgatory.
    There's more than one verse that speaks of washing in the blood of Christ and not all of them are fixed in the here and now.

Apocalypse 7 14 And I said to him: My Lord, thou knowest. And he said to me: These are they who are come out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and have made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Agreed so why do you insist it is something that purgatory has to take care of??
    So, you agree that we pay for our sins? Please answer that question. Once you do we can proceed to explain how God continues the process of purification which was begun in this world if we die imperfectly purified.

Philippians 1 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he, who hath begun a good work in you, will perfect it unto the day of Christ Jesus.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Lets get back to the example of David's sin. God forgave him and erased his sin. But the effects of his sin remained. Specifically, because David gave occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme (2 Kings 12 26), David's son had to die.

If David's son had not died in payment for David's sin, and if David had not made reparation in another manner before his death. David himself would have paid for this sin in Purgatory.

So tell me, what is keeping us from suffering for our sins after death?

So if your circumstances like child dying and all the suffering we go through for not repenting take care of our unrepented sin why would God allow us to die with unrepented sin so that there has to be a purgatory? Why wouldn't he just allow you to suffer all the punishment here on earth?
    I understand God purifies our works through the fire but I don't see it quite the way you explain it with purgatory.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:36 PM
    So if your circumstances like child dying and all the suffering we go through for not repenting take care of our unrepented sin why would God allow us to die with unrepented sin so that there has to be a purgatory? Why wouldn't he just allow you to suffer all the punishment here on earth?
    1. I don't think you yet understand. We are not purified of unrepented sin. We are purified of the effects of sin which we committed for which we have repented and been forgiven. Look again at the example of David. He repented and was forgiven. But he had to pay for the effects of his sin.

2. As for why God does what He does? God's ways are far above our ways. But I believe God's ways are just. To put it simply, "I don't make up the rules. I just follow them. "

I understand God purifies our works through the fire but I don't see it quite the way you explain it with purgatory.
    Where do our works reside and what does it mean to purify our works?

We believe it means to purify our souls since we don't take anything with us.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take long term vicodin consumption to exit your system? [ 7 Answers ]

If you have been on vicodin for a long time how long does it take to get out of your system.

How long is too long to have depression? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm Ariel and am 16 years old. I have had depression for about 7 years starting around the time my parents were getting a divorce. My mother took me and my 3 other sisters to a Phsyciatrist for about a year then took us out for awhile then took me back in all within 2 years. I have been very strong...

How long I'm I going to last with my lover will it be long? [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Will I Last With My Lover?

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

Do You Believe in Purgatory? [ 13 Answers ]

I was wondering whether their really was a Pergatory. It has been a long time since I was a Catholic. I call myself a non-denominational Christian. While I definitely do not believe in" venial" sin, I am believing in Pergatory again. I recently had an experience in my Spirit, and...

View more questions Search